Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question How do non-emets feel?

how do non emets feel about v*ing?

my mom says that no one likes to v*, but does anyone really know what they think when they think about it? most non emets just seem sort of nonchalant, like "oh i just v*d, whatever, now i dont have to go to school."

just curious...

Default Re: How do non-emets feel?

The people I know who are non-emets all say that they don't like vomiting, , don't want to vomit, and many of them get anxious when they know it's for sure going to happen. The main difference is that they don't worry about it at all unless they know for sure it's going to happen. Then, most of them allow it to happen, get through it, knowing it will end, knowing it will make them feel better. They all say that: after the fact, they feel better. Then life goes back to normal for them.

So I think the main difference is we obsess about it 24/7 when there's no real reason to, whereas they don't.

My husband isn't an emet...he says he doesn't like v*ing, but he does it really easily and will v* if he even feels n* at all, like its totally no big deal. He can v* then go right back to sleep, not worrying about if he's going to do it again....he also goes to work even if he's v*ing, which I find soooooo weird! I don't get it!

yeah, thats what confuses me most, is how they can get over it so fast. like once my Boppie (grandpa) was sick and the next day he went to work like it was no big deal, and later happened to mention how he was up all night v*ing.
    whats also weird is how some of them would rather they v*d because apparently it makes them feel better. if i v* im not going, "well, that feels so much better." i'm going: "ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!" :P

They say it's gross when it happens but it feels better after. My friend actually likes v*ing! I wish I could be okay with it.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I asked my non emet boyfriend. This is what he said.

"I'm not worried about when I'm gonna throw up. If I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it. I'm not scared if it's gonna happen. Being scared to throw up is as foreign to me as not being emet is to you. Imagine how it must feel to be non-emet. Most likely, you can't. That's how it is for me, I have no idea what it's like to be emet even though I live with one. Nobody likes to throw up, people tend to not enjoy it. It's similar to coughing, it's uncomfortable but it happens. It just happens when you aren't feeling well."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley View Post

So I think the main difference is we obsess about it 24/7 when there's no real reason to, whereas they don't.
    You are so right on about this one!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Some of the 7 key differences that I have noticed is non-emets
    (1) Give into the need for the body to vomit - the body knows best philosophy
    (2) See vomiting as helpful to the body (removal of toxins / contamination)
    (3) See vomiting as a physical release
    (4) Experience vomiting as a unpleasant but a brief experience
    (5) Far less shameful
    (6) Not controlled by worry
    (7) A low probability unless engaging in deliberate behaviour (drinking)
    Mark

A free web based treatment for emetophobia

i think thats really strange! it would be weird to feel like that....

asieneko: your boyfriend comparing v*ing sort of to coughing is so strange! when i think of coughing i think of "at least i'm not v*ing" not "i could be coughing or v*ing they would be the same either way." is that what he means?

i can never really get a real answer to this question at home because my mom is really careful not to get me freaked out, so i sometimes think she's not being honest.

spilled_milk: i have never heard of anyone who likes to v*!!! i dont think even people with eating disorders enjoy it, they just v* to be skinny. is it weird talking to your friend about v*ing, since she likes it and you fear it? thats really weird!

geckohouse: lol i read your list and i'm going, "howwwww?!" lol it seems impossible to not find it shameful or anything, and CRAZY to see it as helpful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by katherines6 View Post

asieneko: your boyfriend comparing v*ing sort of to coughing is so strange! when i think of coughing i think of "at least i'm not v*ing" not "i could be coughing or v*ing they would be the same either way." is that what he means?

Pretty much yeah. He doesn't mind either way. Obviously V is less fun than coughing, but he really doesn't mind it. Usually when it happens it means his migraine is about to go away so it's relief.

As for people having fun Ving, I knew a guy like that before. He would get drunk just to be sick because that was his favorite thing ever. So weird to me.

You may find these links helpful!

She says it feels like she's getting completely cleansed. I don't think she'd ever look for reasons to v*, but she honestly doesn't mind when she gets a stomach bug. Honestly, talking to her about it, I got jealous.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Most people I know who are non emets.. obviously don't like it. They just don't worry about it. They say.. "if I get it, I get it" But they aren't worried until/unless they get it. Even then they do it and get over it really quick afterwards.

I think some of it is that we all as emets like to look up and know everything about the matter.. and we know too much. And most non emets... aren't obsessed with taking all the precautions to stop it. It's one of those things where I say.. maybe ignorance is bliss! Somedays I wish I could go back to feeling that way about it.

yeah.... it would be nice not to dread it all the time

asieneko: that post about your friend reminded me of when my mom and I used to watch My Name is Earl. I remember this one episode where the lady (i usually covered my eyes or left for episodes with drinking like this, because I always know whats coming) was going shopping for alcohol and the guy called after her as she was leaving, "Wait! Get the ---- (can't remember what kind he said xD) kind! I like it when my v* tastes like cherry!"
    thats funny and absolutely terrifying at the same time lol
    thats weird. they do it, knowing they will v*

Think of it this way, do you obsess over dying? We know it's going to happen to us someday but do you obsess over it 24/7? Nobody wants to die but if it happens then there is nothing we can do. I find it so strange how I obsess over vomiting like it's the end of the world where as dying is the end. I don't freak out about death, there are people out there who do. A lot of emets don't fear colds, pink eye, chicken pox or other viruses, we don't want to have those viruses but if we get it we recover and life goes on. I had a friend who liked to v* she said it made her feel cleansed...very strange to us.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    I asked my non emet boyfriend. This is what he said.

"I'm not worried about when I'm gonna throw up. If I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it. I'm not scared if it's gonna happen. Being scared to throw up is as foreign to me as not being emet is to you. Imagine how it must feel to be non-emet. Most likely, you can't. That's how it is for me, I have no idea what it's like to be emet even though I live with one. Nobody likes to throw up, people tend to not enjoy it. It's similar to coughing, it's uncomfortable but it happens. It just happens when you aren't feeling well."

This also is my boyfriends take on it.

My brother has had excess stomach acid and throws up after eating certain foods on a regular basis...he has been advised by the rest of the family to go to the doctor about it as they will be able to treat it. He has never went to the doctor, it obviously doesnt bother him. He continues to eat the things that make him ill. I just dont get it!

So he knows certain foods will make him v*, but he eats them anyway? That would freak me out. I would not be able to live in a house with someone that v*d frequently!

I know one of my friends actually thinks v* is the funniest thing ever, and will provoke someone into doing it... like, he's egged on my boyfriend to do chugging contests (one of the worst things to witness, in my opinion) which has actually happened once. He laughed the entire time when my boyfriend was v* uncontrollably until he passed out, I'm SO GLAD I was not there to witness that.
    Of course they both think the act itself is hilarious if someone else does it,but they still find it unpleasant to have to go through. My boyfriend is non-emet. He will even hold something for me to be sick in (if it ever comes to that) with a pokerface, but he's such a baby when he gets sick with FP or SV. I feel so bad for him but when he's better, he's right as rain and acts like it never even happened, like water off a duck's back. He really inspires me.
    Last edited by Blushes; 11-12-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    destroy what destroys you

Quote Originally Posted by katherines6 View Post
    So he knows certain foods will make him v*, but he eats them anyway? That would freak me out. I would not be able to live in a house with someone that v*d frequently!
    Yip thats right.

Fortunately he has moved out of my parents house several years ago (i still live with my parents) so I dont have to deal with it anymore, but it still freaks me out when I hear about it.

He's got a girlfriend and a baby on the way now, so it may have to change! I know I wouldnt put it up with.