Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Questions about Noro

After everything I've been dealing with for the past few months.. I've done a lot of research. I'm very confused. I've been trying to figure out if it's possible that my stepson had a virus 3 weeks ago.. and the reason why he's not catchign the one his 2 brothers and step sister had this past weekend.. could it be because he had the same strain and is immune? Or maybe having that one 3 weeks ago just built up his immune system fighting ability.?

I know there are many many strains of norovirus.. and everything I've read says havign one will only offer a short term immunity to that specific strain. And so with many going around, they can get it again over and over.

While there are many strains out there and they do mutate.. are there really THAT many strains out there at a single time? Or is it more like the real flu (influenza) where there are 2 or 3 strains usually circulating.. Because I find it odd, if there are so many strains going around at once, why is it most people..even children hardly ever get it more than once.. maybe twice in a year (I know there are exceptions if a child is immune compromised and/or children v* for other reasons too) If there really are many virus's at once.. and no immunity except to the specific strain how is this? You'd think they'd be getting a real SV* every other week? But that's not the case. So, if indeed there are many virus's at once.. wouldn't that mean there is probably some sort of protection from the other strains? I mean some sort of antibodies to help the body fight harder. After having one already... otherwise it would mean there's only a couple of strains going around at a given time? I mean especially with children.. because they do have poor hygiene and share things with their friends at school and siblings.. but they still generally aren't sick with SV's more than once a year..for the most part.

And another thing.. if we as adults don't have some sort of immunity to these strains.. why is it a lot of times parents can skip out on catching what their children bring in? Even ones who are not emet or stressed or worried about it. And I'm not talking about rotavirus.. I'm talking about noro.. because I know the difference. I've seen noro type virus's go through all of the kids and none of the adults get it at all? I know we have better hygiene.. but I know in these cases I've seen some of the adults involved aren't much better than the kids.. still kissing on the lips and sharing things with the kids....

Sorry.. I'm just wondering about all of this.. because I can't find any clear answers online... so I was just wanting some take from the rest of you. I know you all probably research as much as I do.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by mhp8982; 11-09-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Default Re: Questions about Noro

I also don't understand because I have heard stories like one my mom told me a long time ago. It was before I was born.. but my grandfather game to visit. He came in and wasn't feeling well. All he did was sit on one of the chairs.. wasn't sick yet.. but decided to leave since he could tell he was getting sick. He didn't touch anything other than that chair. He did get sick after he left. By the next morning everyone in the house was sick.. my mom, dad and both of my brothers. If it's true you have to injest it and they don't expel it until they are actually sick... how could this have happened? My grandfather lived 2 1/2 hours away.. and he had just gotten there and had to leave. There was no possible exposure before that either.

I have read other situations like this...or very similar. Now, I know they are rare.. and that's the only time something went through like that where there was little or no exposure that my mom can remember as long as we were growing up. But I guess my point is.. they do happen... just not sure how.

There is usually only one strain going around at a time. Just like there are THOUSANDS of possible strains of influenza and only one or two go around at a time. Norovirus is actually a very slow mutating virus. If your stepson had it 3 weeks ago he's immune for at least 4 months. It's highly unlikely to the point of being near impossible that they have a different strain.

The reason people aren't sick more is because a) there's only one strain at a time and b) it's just not that easy to catch. It's not everywhere and while some unlucky people may catch it through only 10 virus particles, most people have immune systems that protect us. It's not that common and it's not that easy to catch. Even when the CDC says such horrifying things as 10 virus particles, they HAVE to say that because they don't actually know. And they can't have someone with a compromised immune system getting extremely ill or dying. If it was as easy to catch as emets describe it and as described in this post, then everyone would be sick non-stop. As is most adults rarely get the stomach "flu."

As for the grandfather story, they must have all caught it together because there is no possible way that he could have infected them. It's just not possible. Plus it's unlikely/impossible that you'd get sick so quickly after exposure. The fastest you can start to show symptoms is 12 hours, with the average being 30 hours. There's a reason you only hear these things as old stories. You have to actually ingest the virus to be exposed and the virus is safely contained inside your body until you start to show symptoms. You can't catch it from being near someone who feels kind of sick. I kissed my boyfriend minutes before he got last sick without problem. And the previous time he caught the bug he came back to bed after getting sick in the middle of the night and we slept in a tiny bed together for a good three hours before I realized what was happening, again I didn't catch it.

Thank you! I did figure that there's probably not more than a couple of strains going around at a time.. kinda like the real flu. And especially in the same community. So it is possible he got it, we contained it and then the rest got it from a different source... and the other is now immune... so hopefully maybe that's why he didn't get it this time.

It's just that everything you read on it.. nothing explains that.. it just says you can't grow an immunity because it only lasts a few months after catching that specific strain. And it says there are so many different strains.. and they mutate. But I guess that means in your lifetime.. year after year... not necessarily that there are many different strains at a single given time. That makes me feel a little better to have that explained.
    As far as my grandfather story.. they weren't around each other before he got there. He had just drove in to visit.. but decided to leave like a half hour later because he was feeling really sick. They weren't in the same place together before. And it was about 12+ hours later after they got there that it started for everyone else. Like I said.. these stories are rare.. but I've heard of them happening. In most cases I can trace it back to at least being exposed to it possibly on surfaces that weren't properly cleaned or something.

My husband told me a story the other night.. that when he was in youth group.. everyone got it. This guy and his sister got it. Then came to church for an event... and from there they all started getting it. But no one was sick while they were at church that night. I'm boggled by this. Even though, I know instances like that are rare where they go through rampant like that.

but then my other question is... why is it that some noros (not rota), maybe there's another type common in children more than adults... but I know it's not rota... why is it sometimes it wipes out all of the children but none of the adults involved get it at all.... even the ones who are kissing them and sharing things with them and not being as clean as people like us emets are.. do you think some of the noro strains may be more suseptible to children? As a matter of fact I think a lot are that way. My husband and I never catch the ones the kids bring in.. (although I'm still very scared of catching it) sometimes their mom does.. but there are times when she doesn't... and no adult does.

We're pretty much all had rotavirus as kids. Rotavirus and norovirus are related, but not quite the same. Rotavirus does not mutate and once you've had it, you are immune. When adults do get rotavirus, it's generally mild.

Children are just more susceptible to everything than adults are. Sometimes they don't have a contagious bug. Some adults are also naturally resistant to norovirus, by blood type and secretor status and just strong immune systems in general. Some people have crap immune systems and pick up every stomach bug, flu, and strep infection going around and some adults just never tend to get sick. I know an emet way of thinking (I think this way too a lot) is that if we are exposed, we will get sick, no matter what. But our immune systems can fight it off without us knowing it sometimes. Yay immune systems!

like I said.. I know rotavirus.. and I know these bugs that I'm describing were not rotavirus. But I know it was a contagious bug because all 4 of the children got sick.. but all adults involved avoided it.. meaning my husband and I.. their mom and step dad.. and their step dads mom lives with them. At their moms house I know it's not as sanitary as my house. I make everyone wash their hands and we keep things clean and sanitized during this time of year. So I don't know. There may not be any clear answers.

I've heard about the blood type thing. I rarely get stomach bugs.. I've had only 1 in 21 years... and that was 8 years ago. I thought I had O blood type for the longest time and then recently found out I actually have A+. And it's one that they say gets these bugs more? So I don't know. I think it's genetic because my parents and brothers are all pretty healthy. They get sick.. but not very often and we didn't even get sick a lot as kids.

Yeah, I never worry about catching colds, flus, strep, etc... those things don't phase me. If someone has one.. no big deal. If I get it I get it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But with the stomach virus's these kids always have.. every time I'm scared for a week that I'm going to catch it. Sometimes longer.. like in this instance because I wasn't sure if the other child was goign to catch it or get sick again. Still a little nervous he may catch it from going back into his moms house on Sunday after the little girl got sick.. just because of sharing surfaces and toys and things that weren't probably cleaned. I know that's how the girl got sick since she came to the house 24 hours after the other 2 boys were sick. It had to be lingering on a surface that she touched. So I'm in panic mode... I'm hoping once we get through t his... it means we should be good for a stomach virus for awhile! Please?! I need my sanity back.

You just have a strong immune system then!

There are really only three common bugs, noro (causes 90% of contagious gastroenteritis), rota, and adenovirus (rare). There are some others, but they're not really found among places with decent sanitation.

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    You just have a strong immune system then!

There are really only three common bugs, noro (causes 90% of contagious gastroenteritis), rota, and adenovirus (rare). There are some others, but they're not really found among places with decent sanitation.

Yeah.. that's what I thought. Then this has to be noro that they had. I just hope you're right that it was most likely the same strain. The same one that was sick 3 weeks ago was sick in August with something all day too but no one else got it. I don't know. But regardless.. I hope you're right.

I guess there are just many things that most of us as adults can fight that children can't. Some strains might be harsher in children than in adults.. but lots of times their mom will catch it too.. even though we don't. A couple of times she has been spared too.

I hate this span of 4 months of this stuff because it's making me scared to take them anywhere.... like going to church or visiting family... even for the holidays.. it's making me nervous. I've never been nervous about this in my life!

I've read that most cases of what people think are the "stomach flu" are actually food poisoning. Since you have to ingest it to catch it, this makes sense. It also explains the examples some of you have mentioned about people "catching" it at the same time. They probably ate the same contaminated food. And the symptoms of noro and food poisoning are pretty similar... I don't know what the actual percentage is, but of all the things that cause people to v*, noro is a smaller percentage than those of us who think it lurks around every corner would imagine. Not sure if that's comforting or not... but it helps me.

I feel the same way. I am starting to get more and more afraid of going out of my house. I need to start taking some immune system boosting vitamins and herbs. What about the 'good bacteria' found in some yogurts and probiotics? Does anyone know if those would help combat SV's or at least make it less likely you would have symptoms if you did catch one?

Unfortunately noro causes way more cases than food poisoning, somewhere between 50-80% of gastroenteritis is caused by norovirus. Food poisoning is really rare. The good news is most food poisoning occurs in people's own homes, by blatant carelessness, such as leaving food out on the counter too long, not washing hands after touching chicken, etc... Nothing an emet would ever do.

You shouldn't be scared to go eat out. My mom travels the world and eats out probably 5-10 times a week, stays in hotels at least twice a month, and travels by air the same amount. She doesn't bother washing her hands much. She has had one stomach thing in the past 40 years. It's really not easy to catch and it's not just lurking everywhere.

Yeah I wanted to add..I know it wasn't food poisoning because the little girl caught it 48 hours after being in there house and she wasn't there before or when they got sick

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
    I feel the same way. I am starting to get more and more afraid of going out of my house. I need to start taking some immune system boosting vitamins and herbs. What about the 'good bacteria' found in some yogurts and probiotics? Does anyone know if those would help combat SV's or at least make it less likely you would have symptoms if you did catch one?

I have started taking 2 packets of Emergen-C while sick or if someone around me is sick, if not I take 1000mg of Vitamin C.. and I'm taking 2000IU of Vitamin D3, My prenatal (I'm 14 weeks pregnant, you can take any multi vitamin) and I'm taking a probiotic (acidipholus) every day.. I also take the sambucus extract if someone around me is sick or I'm trying to ward something off. I got them all at the pharmacy area of our Meijer store, which is like a super walmart kinda.. only I like it better. They have a naturals brand.. it seems to be as good as what is in the health food stores from what I can tell. I've been doing this about 4 weeks now. I just started the probiotic a week ago. But this is what I've been told can help. Along with the usual... drink lots of water, get plenty of sleepy.... try and eat healthy. I live a very busy life and my appetite and sleeping sucks since being pregnant...I'm definitely not eating and sleeping like I should be.. so I'm hoping these vitamins will help boost me up like I need.. I have my husband doing it too.. only with an mens multi vitamin. I really hope it helps us this season to stay healthier.

I do have one more question about all of this. What if what the one child who didn't catch it... didn't have a stomach virus 3 weeks before. I know that noro will effect everyone who gets it different.. but it only lasted a couple of hours and he was better. He bounced back by afternoon. I know children are pretty resiliant anyway.. I was never convinced it was a virus since no one else caught it. But the only argument.. is that it was a Sunday and at our house.. and we kept him separated and cleaned like mad.. wearing gloves and masks.. and then they went back to their moms that night and he was much better. So we could have contained it I know.

But what if it wasn't a bug. I mean it seems logical.. as much as he's been exposed to this virus that the other 3 children got it and he didn't.. that there has to be a good reason for that. He's usually the first one to get everything because he's somewhat immune compromised. He has asthma, eczema and allergies awful... he had to have his tonsils out this past April. He use to get ear infection after ear infection... and still gets a couple every year... maybe he's finally building a better immunity. If by some chance what he had 3 weeks ago was't a virus.. although I can't figure out what else it could be. Of course being emet I"m looking at all possibilities. Isn't it possible he could still come down with it sometime in the near future if it's going through his preschool and daycare? It is shocking as much as he was exposed to it that he never got it. Isn't it possible that maybe he did have antiboides built up from being sick before.. and isnt' it possible that sometimes someone can get it but not show symptoms? Their body is just strong enough to fight it off before the nasty symptoms start.. But that would still grant them immunity? I guess that is a possibility too!

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm hoping and praying for some reassurance and hope that we are going to get a break from this SV* stuff. Like I said.. 4 times in 4 months.. whether it was all SV's or not.. is just too much. We need a break for awhile.. the kids need a break.. my anxiety needs a break...I feel like I'm just waiting for him to get his turn.

I'm going to start them on a childrens probiotic this weekend along with their multi vitamin. Hopefully it'll help them. I saw childrens vitamin D3 chewables.. I might add that in too next time around. I don't want to give them too much at once though.
    Last edited by mhp8982; 11-10-2011 at 08:22 AM.

He probably did have the virus. Some kids don't behave like they've been flattened by this. I know when I was 6 or 7 I had some kind of stomach bug and immediately after throwing up I'd stuff my face with candy.

Either he had it or he has some kind of immunity to this strain. Either way, it doesn't sound like he's going to get sick.

He probably did have the virus. Some kids don't behave like they've been flattened by this. I know when I was 6 or 7 I had some kind of stomach bug and immediately after throwing up I'd stuff my face with candy.

Either he had it or he has some kind of immunity to this strain. Either way, it doesn't sound like he's going to get sick.
    Thank you! I am starting to believe all of the reassuring words more. I'm really hoping so. Do you think we should see a break for awhile t hen.. if he's already had it or had some sort of immunity to it? I'm hoping at least for awhile.... so I can focus better on my pregnancy and getting ready for the baby and the holidays... it's just driving me absolutely crazy.

I do t hink at my next prenatal visit I'm going to ask about something that would be safe to take for anxiety on an as needed basis.

Well he was already exposed and nothing happened wasn't he? So he's already had this year's strain or is immune to it somehow. If he practices good hand washing after using the bathroom, he should be golden.

Definitely ask about something, you don't want to be anxious with a baby on the way! I was super against medication for this, thinking it masked the problem, etc... etc... but then my boyfriend was sick and I couldn't cope and an as needed anti-anxiety med actually helped me face my fears rather than go cry in a corner (literally). I'm just not sure if any of those types of medications are safe to take during pregnancy.

Well he was already exposed and nothing happened wasn't he? So he's already had this year's strain or is immune to it somehow. If he practices good hand washing after using the bathroom, he should be golden.

Definitely ask about something, you don't want to be anxious with a baby on the way! I was super against medication for this, thinking it masked the problem, etc... etc... but then my boyfriend was sick and I couldn't cope and an as needed anti-anxiety med actually helped me face my fears rather than go cry in a corner (literally). I'm just not sure if any of those types of medications are safe to take during pregnancy.

I'm sure just like the real flu... there are probably a few strains out there. But as far as the one going around their house.. and probably school/community.. I would think as much as he was exposed he would have been sick by now if he was going to get it... he's been exposed multple times. At the daycare when his youngest brother got sick last Thursday.. at home when the older brother got sick....I mean they share a bedroom and everything. he even played VERY closely with his brother who was just sick on Thursday when they were at our house.. they played together the whole weekend probably sharing and swaping germs. And then he was exposed that Sunday evening after the little girl got sick who was only there Fri to Sun. She wasn't even exposed to them actually getting sick.. probably just picked it up on an uncleaned surface and was sick within 48 hours. And here we are...nearly 4 days past dropping them off and as far as I know he's still well.. so I'd think he has to have an immunity to it of some sort, whether he had it 3 weeks ago.. or just had good antibodies to fight this one without getting the symptoms. I know they have had 2 in a year before.. but usually many months apart.. like once in the fall and another in the early spring or late winter like february or March. Most of the time there's only 1 that they both end up getting. So far of the two boys that are my husbands.. they haven't had anything at the same time this year. I hope we will be safe this weekend.. i'm still a little nervous he could possibly get sick. I'm trying to believe all of this.

I just hope we're going to be good for awhile......

and I will definitely ask my OB.. he'll know if anything is safe.
    Last edited by mhp8982; 11-10-2011 at 11:59 AM.