Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Anyone know what this means in norovirus vaccine article?

http://www.internalmedicinenews.com/...1010&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=18490

Alright, I'm becoming obsessed with this noro vaccine and just wish it was available already. Here is an article about it which I've seen before, but close to the end of it it says:"An intramuscular formulation is in clinical trials, but "a commercially available vaccine is still years away,"

At the risk of sounding stupid what does this mean? That they have a one form of it which is an intramuscular injection that will be available sooner to the public vs. another kind of vaccine injection that won't be available for many years...or are they saying the intramuscular injection is many years away?

Hope I'm not too confusing. I just want to hear that this vaccine will be available soon!! I hate spending my free time looking for norovirus miracles!

Default Re: Anyone know what this means in norovirus vaccine article?

Im pretty sure they're saying that they have an expieramental intramusclar vaccine now but its not commercially avalible yet. Hope this helps!

Yeah, they're saying they have a vaccine but it might not be ready yet, and even if it is it has to go through a ton of testing and then get FDA approval before it can even begin to be introduced to the public let alone become a routine vaccine.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Basically what they said ^^. Before a new drug or vaccine can be approved to give to the general public, it has to go through a process called clinical trials. These are usually done in phases. The FDA is trying to evaluate both 1) that the vaccine/drug is actually effective (that's where they would compare it to a control), and 2) that it is actually safe (i.e. they look for what kind of side effects it causes).

Quote Originally Posted by runner1998 View Post
    (that's where they would compare it to a control), and 2) that it is actually safe (i.e. they look for what kind of side effects it causes).
    For, instance - what's the rate of accidental infection of norovirus through the vaccine? I wait and pray as much as the next emetophobic here but it's sure suck to sign up for vaccination dates, a bazillion in the community get them and then all of them get sick and cause an epidemic.

I know someone who has contacts in this field. They say it will be perhaps 5 years before it's available to the general public. They're looking for people to take part in the study right now which will take at least a year before they're ready to purposely infect both a control and vaccine group (who wants to volunteer for that one? LOL)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll take 5 yrs! If there is an end in sight! My boys will be 8 and 5 yrs old so still young enough will I will continue to worry about them bringing it into our home. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to participate as a volunteer for that! But, thank god there are people who will so they can get this miracle vaccine on the market! Thanks Sage for the info!!!!

I can`t understand why we don`t have a vaccine for this thing yet, I mean, we`ve had a flu vaccine for years.

because the flu kills people, stomach viruses do not

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    Actually they say the sv kills something like 200,000 children anually.

They say everything kills people that's why they have so many vaccinations. A sv* can kill children and the elderly just the same as the flu can. While I don't condone vaccination, I think it's a joke that they can make all the other vaccinations and not a norovirus vaccination! We wouldn't have "outbreaks" of the flu or of sv* if people would just be respectful and sat home when sick, and if people washed their hands properly! It's flat out ignorance and a big "f" you to the world when people show up to work ill...

Quote Originally Posted by mela View Post
    Actually they say the sv kills something like 200,000 children anually.
    who is "they?" I've never heard this and would like to see where this is documented.
    Also, the norovirus changes constantly like the cold virus, so it's hard for them to really make a vaccine that's effective, just like vaccinating for the common cold.
    They are working on the virus, but it's still not going to get rid of it totally. I just think people should just wash their hands, but we know the world is full of disgusting people...the common cold and flu is spread by people not washing their hands either. My point is, we live in a society where people just don't care what they are spreading, and that, in my opinion, will never, never change. Sad

who is "they?" I've never heard this and would like to see where this is documented.
    Also, the norovirus changes constantly like the cold virus, so it's hard for them to really make a vaccine that's effective, just like vaccinating for the common cold.
    They are working on the virus, but it's still not going to get rid of it totally. I just think people should just wash their hands, but we know the world is full of disgusting people...the common cold and flu is spread by people not washing their hands either. My point is, we live in a society where people just don't care what they are spreading, and that, in my opinion, will never, never change. Sad
    It is probably the same "they" that you read the flu kills people...the CDC.

http://www.ligocyte.com/downloads/Noro.pdf

The CDC, for example, estimates that 900,000 clinic visits by children in the developed world occur annually as a result
    of norovirus outbreaks, leading to an estimated 64,000 hospitalizations. The burden of disease is even greater in the developing world,
    where the CDC estimates that norovirus causes the death of 200,000 children under the age of 5 every year.