Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Another Noro Question....

I'm actually feeling quite a bit better. I feel like we've made it through this bout...which definitely helps me relax. We are having a pretty good weekend. But, I was just wondering about one thing that I can't get a clear answer on when looking it up...

We've already established that there's most likely only one or two strains of noro going around at a given time in a community otherwise we'd be sick every other week rather than the possible once or twice a year.. especially with children. Especially since there is only short term immunity to that strain.

But another thing I was wondering... I know I've read how sometimes you can be infected and just not show symptoms... but would this offer immunity to that strain too? Like if you are exposed but you don't ingest enough to get sick...would your body still fight it off and build up an immunity? Kinda like the nasal flu shot.. it's a weakened live virus... but it's not enough to actually make you sick, but it helps your body build up antibodies and immunity. Would this be the same for noro..like if you know without a doubt you were exposed and ingested it..but you don't get physically sick..will your body still build up those antibodies and immunity from it?

I know this may be a kind of complex question. I'm not trying to feed my fears. I'm just wondering. I'm not panicky at all right now. As I know we've survived this round of it...in our family.. and will most likely not have to worry about it for awhile. I really don't worry about catching it out in public or at work or anything. I just wash hands and try to keep my immune system strong.

I really appreciate you all for taking the time to read and answer!!! Thank you!!!

Default Re: Another Noro Question....

Good question. I don't see why not
    Colleen

I would think it would... because it would be kinda like getting an immunization against it or something.. with a weakened live virus. You don't get sick from it.. but it helps your body build immunity.

Anyone? I'm really curious...

Yes, that would be true. According to my son-in-law the microbiologist who wrote the "Norovirus Facts" section of my website which is copied on here.

Not sure how this would make an emet feel any better though. How would you ensure that you ingested just 5 viral particles vs. 10 or 100? You couldn't. But if you found yourself with a very mild version of this year's noro then you'd be immune for the rest of the season, yes.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing that! I had also read that you can be infected and show no symptoms. Would this still be true? I mean not knowing how much you ingested.....if you ingest a few particles yet you don't get sick or show symptoms? That's when it makes me think of like an immunization with a weakened live version. Its not enough to make you sick or show symptoms but your body builds an immunity

I think everyone shows different symptoms, so say you ingest just as much as John doe and he is really I'll and you have just a mild case, you will have the immunity. I am a firm believer in how healthy our bodies are is how hard it will fight if/when you get I'll. If you keep your body healthy you give it a fighting chance when any virus comes in contact with it.

Right! I totally agree with you! But what I'm asking...... is if we "ingest" it...and our bodies/immune systems ARE strong enough to fight it off and keep us from getting sick/having symptoms...do we still build up an immunity to that strain?

I would think we would.... because you're still kinda being infected, but your body is just strong enough to fight it off. Like what I said about the influenza flu mist.. it's a weakened live virus. It's alive.. but it's not enough to make you sick. But your body still fights it and builds up an immunity to it.

Sorry to repeat myself.

Oh yes I agree if you ingest it and have no symptoms your immune system still worked to fight it and that helps build the immunity!

Thank you! All of your answers are very helpful. So that would mean.. assuming what he had 3 weeks before wasn't the same strain (although it could have been)... if it wasn't.. and with him being exposed to the other children so much and still not catching it.. there is a good chance he could have built up an immunity to it too even though he didn't display any symptoms. I sure hope that's the case!

If you were asymptomatic you would definitely be immune for the rest of the season. But you wouldn't know about it.

If he has been exposed and didn't get it, he's not gonna.

Yeah... I would guess though in situations like this.. we do know that he was most likely exposed.. he was around it a ton while the others were V* and since their step sister caught it.. I know it was on surfaces too. So I believe he was either immune from having it 3 weeks before.. or he might have caught it without symptoms.. or just ingested a small amount.. just not enough to get sick..and that would make him immune too. The other 3 just caught it so easy... I do hope we're good for the rest of the season from that! Or at least for awhile.

Thanks for your help!