Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Advice from **MOMS** Please

I've had this fear from as far back as I can remember. I've seen therapist and Psychiatrists and tried every med. While I'm far from "normal" I consider myself okay - with one major problem - Fear of Pregnancy. It's the morning sickness, the 9 months of my belly feeling weird, all the way to the fear of my children getting sick. I only taking Klonopin to help my anxiety, but I'm afraid to take any medication while pregnant. And I know once it happens, I'm in it for 9 months - can't call it quits and run away halfway through. I desperately want a family. Any and all advice please

Default Re: Advice from **MOMS** Please

Believe me....having a baby is soooo worth all the pains of pregnancy...once you hold that baby in your arms you wont be able to imagine life without them...and I never once v*d while pregnant...and if you do get n* they can give you antiemetics...go for it

it is so worth it....I wouldn't trade my kids for anything. I was fine both of my pregnancies and deliveries...best present ever. Im not the best when it comes to them getting sick (which thank god is not a lot). but when it does I can't go near them. Im so glad my husband deals with it...I can clean it, but I can't take care of them....

I never got sick while pregnant or during labor and delivery. Honestly, I don't deal well when my son gets sick. He's 4 and has vomited 2 separate occasions, I handled both times well. I cleaned him and the mess up on my own but I don't see how I can do it again. Last night he was coughing in bed and I got shaky and begin to feel ill to my stomach. I fear him being sick when it's bed time, any other time I probably can deal with it. You shouldn't let this phobia stand in your way if it's what you really want. I wouldn't change a thing, I love my son more then anything. Don't let your fear get in the way of your dreams.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

I have had 2 kids and never v*d had a teeny tiny n* with my second child. Although I constantly worry about the dreaded sv* I just do my best to keep my kids healthy! I breastfeed because they are less likely to suffer from bad sv* not just as kids but for life, I don't feed them crap food, I just do what I can to keep them healthy! And a big hug from my 5 year old or my baby makes everyday worth it!

Thanks so much ladies!! Knowing other people with my fear can handle it makes me more hopeful

I just had my first baby in July....I went through the whole pregnancy without morning sickness. I had aversions to certain foods, but that was basically it. I did good during labor too. I got the epidural...takes away the intense pain in your abdomen. Good luck...you should be fine!

Oh and I have become a pretty strong minded individual! With my 2nd child I had a home birth completely free of any meds...I had some nausea but I powered through it and didn't dwell on it because I knew if I let my body do what it needed to do I would labor much fast and the baby would be here

I did great when pregnant with my son. Had mild nausea for the first few weeks but that was it. I did almost v* during my csection but the anesthesiologist I had was a rockstar. He assured me that once they got done sewing that layer up the nausea would disappear. Sure enough. As soon as it came on it went away. I do have a hard time when my son gets sick though. He just turned 3 and has had 4 separate bouts of v*ing. My heart always drops and then starts pounding when I hear him make any noise on his monitor at night. That's when all his bouts of sickness happened. Aaaaannnndd, I'm currently pregnant again. 8 weeks now. This time I have had severe morning sickness (more like 24/7 sickness) I'm handling it okay. Some days are better than others. My 1st appt is Tuesday and I'm going to tell them all the natural crap isn't working for me (it honest isn't and I've tried everything) I hope they give me Zofran. My biggest fear is having a sv come into our home though. I can't stand the anxiety. I'm going to see a therapist on Monday about it. I've always had the fear but it's gotten to the point of controlling my life in recent months. I can't take it anymore. Good luck!
    BREATHE

I have two children and with the first pregnancy, I had mild night time nausea but I found that eating graham crackers between meals helped. When you are pregnant, your salivary glands go into overdrive so that can increase the icky feeling. I would do visualizations when I ate the crackers, like they were "soaking up" the stomach acid and taking it away. I made sure to eat tiny bites of something throughout the day to avoid nausea.
    With my second son, it was a lot worse. I never v* but I was nauseaous 24/7. I wore Sea Bands for sea sickness and I snacked on Spearmint Leaf candies from CVS. That helped a LOT. After the first trimester was over, I felt a lot better. The only other issue I had was with reflux and heartburn but I took Pepcid for that and it helped.

I went through 3 pregnancies and deliveries (two of them C-sections) and did not get sick once. I did experience morning sickness, but my OB prescribed a medication that was safe to take during pregnancy. Trust me, you will never regret having children. They are so worth the risk. My sons are entering their teens now. They are not kids to get SV's often (like me, I guess). When they do, it is very hard for me. I have caught it from them more than once, but only had diarrhea.

It is so worth it! Most emets don't get MS, from what I have read in the past, we have strong anti-V willpower, I think. I am pregnant with our third. I might post on here later about things I am going through but don't let that worry you, it has everything to do with the time of year and almost nothing to do with the pregnancy. My anxiety has been under control pretty well so far though. I have 3 months to go and haven't been S once this time or either of the 2 previous pregnancies.

I have a horrible horrible horrible fear of V. When I found out I was pregnant I thought my life was over. I remember telling my husband I would rather be punched square in the face then V (still would) hahaha! But I know A LOT of people who never V while they were pregnant including me. I did get nausous a couple times and only one time did I think I was going to. I read that if you eat before you get out of bed and nibble all day you wont get sick, so I literally wouldn't even sit up out of bed unless I had dry toast in my body. I would eat laying down hahaha! With my kids V I may be differnt than other emets but their V is different Its like its my babys so it isn't horrible. I more feel bad for them when they are sick because I know what they are going through and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Last time my son who is two V (from a high fever) he was crying and I could tell he was confused but after he v he was all better as if nothing ever happened. That didn't bother me, only that he was scared. Its like mommy mode takes over the Emet.