Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default how it is contagious?

I have read somewhere that the only the virus is contagious is if you actually come in contact with the vomit particles...is this true? and if someone touches the particles, then touches a door knob, then I touch it...i am exposed??
    and i have also read that is in your system for 2 weeks. For the 2 weeks that it is in someones system...how is it congtagious? how could i get from being around someone that had it within 2 weeks ago?
    im a little confused. please correct where im wrong.

Default Re: how it is contagious?

Yes you have to ingest the virus fecal or v* particles to mouth...the other I'm not too sure about the other I know the virus can survive for awhile on hard surfaces, but I don't know how long it is actually in your system...

You definitely need to get vomit or fecal particles into your digestive system (mouth or through the nose is possible technically) in order to catch it. If somebody touches the particles, then a doorknob, then you touch it, you can catch it if you bring the particles to your nose or mouth. This assumes the particles were actually there (they didn't wash) and that you actually touched the knob where they did and the particles got on you. Just make sure you wash your hands and you'll be fine!

As far as being contagious, I know before they show symptoms it isn't. After they are done vomiting, I believe it can be spread through fecal matter, however I'm not sure for how long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As everyone else said, you must ingest the vomit/fecal particles in order to become infected. Contrary to popular belief, the virus is contagious before one starts displaying symptoms. This is why proper hygiene is SUPER important. Wash those hands! As long as you do that, and keep your hands away from your face, it is not likely you will become infected.

I have also heard it is contagious before symptoms start but only through fecal matter not saliva, coughing or sneezing. Say somebody picks up the virus on a monday morning, poops normally tues morning but doesnt wash their hands whatever fecal matter is on their hands is then surface spread to others, the original person then gets sick later that day. This is the scary part as we all avoid people who have been ill but dont know whos out there unknowingly spreading their germs. Whats even scarier is that some people are carriers without ever getting sick.

I read the CDC website regardig noro and nowhere doesit say it is contagious before symtoms are present...while maybe some other sv* maybe the cdc claims it is only contagious once symtoms have started and are still contagious for 3 days to 2 weeks are the start of symptoms...

Hmm that is an interesting bit of information. I've heard from multiple sources that is contagious before symptoms are present, but take that statement with a grain of salt as I am not a doctor. I also agree it is scary that some people are carriers without ever getting physically ill. They have immune systems made of steel I suppose...or stomachs lol.

Yea I have read multiple places that sv* are only contagious when syptoms are present in the in fecal matter after the illness, I even read that on stopthestomachflu.org, there is some helpful information out there. But it is gross regardless that people don't wash their hands properly! There is NO excuse for not washing your hands........................But I am firm believer in healthy immune system. If you have a healthy immune system your body has a chance at fighting with all it's might. ie people who are carriers, or even people who mildly get the illness. I know even people with helathy immune systems can get sick but liek I look at my dad, he is 65 years old, I can never recall him getting a sv*, very rarely gets colds. He eats super healthy, take his vitamins and supplemnet and is active. He believes in chiropractic care for health, and supplements. If you have ahealthy immune system you can fight anything and if you do get sick you don't get as sick as people who don't take care of themselves ....I know of many instances where a sv* is in someones house and only 1 or 2 people get sick...I think it all depends on the families health in general and overall hygiene

You shed the virus in your stools for up to 10 days. Some people can be a carrier of the virus but never get sick. Ive read it depends on your blood type. Now my daughter gets it yearly so she must be prone to it.

so in that 2 week span that the virus is still carried...how is it contagious?

Quote Originally Posted by xoxokt View Post
    so in that 2 week span that the virus is still carried...how is it contagious?
    In an infected persons poo particles if somebody doesnt wash their hands after going to the loo, they then touch things which you then touch and maybe eat or put your fingers in your mouth therefore ingesting their contagious poo particles, gross even if they are not carrying noro!

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    I read the CDC website regardig noro and nowhere doesit say it is contagious before symtoms are present...while maybe some other sv* maybe the cdc claims it is only contagious once symtoms have started and are still contagious for 3 days to 2 weeks are the start of symptoms...

Here is a quote from the CDC website:
    Although pre-symptomatic viral shedding may occur, shedding usually begins with onset of symptoms and may continue for 2 weeks or more after recovery.

By "shedding" they mean in your stool. Saying it "may" occur before symptoms means that it probably depends on how many viral particles you swallow in the first place.

There's an "emet-friendly" article about noroviruses on my website (written by a microbiologist). Same info, just explains it clearly without scaring people unnecessarily.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.