Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Probiotics!!

Smile Probiotics!!

I just read this online thought I would share since I know some of you are really into probiotics like I am...makes me feel really good about giving my kids and myself probiotics. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what strain is the best to ward off the stomach flu??

Probiotics and Stomach Viruses
    According to a 2010 review in the "Journal of Nutrition," children who consume probiotics may be at lower risk of contracting viral gastroenteritis, which is commonly known as the stomach flu. The same review concluded that travelers who consume probiotics may be at reduced risk of suffering from travelers diarrhea, a condition that can be caused by viruses and parasites as well as bacteria in foreign food or water. The study authors concede, however, that more research is necessary since data only support the conclusion that certain probiotics only help certain target populations under certain conditions.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...#ixzz1duspGg2c

Default Re: Probiotics!!

I am a STRONG believer in probiotics!! I have given them to my nursed 15 month old since birth and my 5 year old has been taking them for 3 years ever since I "discovered" them! He has had a few very minor sv* and the only real symptoms he has had was upset tummy not really wanting to eat. He did get one that started at his dad's house and once he got here and I pumped them into it the d* slowed way down! Probiotics are not only good for the gut but for the whole body they are a natural immunity booster!

Oh and I knnow that a really good strain in infantitis bacterium is a really really good one it is the bacteria that is in a breastfed infants gut and that is good stuff! I have mulitple differnt bottles of different probiotics. We take dailies and then we have some really strong ones in case tummy trouble arises called Tummy Tuneup...you can google them

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    Oh and I knnow that a really good strain in infantitis bacterium is a really really good one it is the bacteria that is in a breastfed infants gut and that is good stuff! I have mulitple differnt bottles of different probiotics. We take dailies and then we have some really strong ones in case tummy trouble arises called Tummy Tuneup...you can google them
    Actually you and I had the conversation before about the Tummy Tuneup...i ended up buying some to have on hand...they really sounded like they worked! I take a good probiotic daily and give my 3 yr. old one daily too. He is in preschool so it scares the crap out of me! But, every time before he goes to school we have the discussion no fingers in the mouth, or on your face, if you have to go potty wash well and use a paper towel to turn off the faucet. It sucks when you aren't there to monitor their hygiene so I pray he does what I tell him! I'm sure to most non emet germephobe moms I sound like a nut, I just don't want that darn sv coming into our house!!!

Oh I am sorry!!!!! I feel you though I am the same way! My 5 year old I am always telling hijm to keep his hands off his face and ALWAYS wash your hands I put hand sanitizer in his backpack. I am diligent about it...I hate the dreaded sv*. He has had it a few times but like I said with probiotics I really think they help lessen the sv*!

Do I just buy them at walgreens??? I mean are they called probiotics? Or another specific name?

YOu can buy regular acidopholis at Walgreens...health food stores carry the best lines of probiotics. They carry ones that have muliple strains of probiotics, not just the acidolphois strain. But if that is all that is near you till you can get to a health food store then some is better then none! I buy mine from vitacost.com and morethanalive.com. The vitacost website has kids ones that are chewables or you mix in juice or milk...I buy both for my kids...and the ones from morethanalive I get the tummy tuneup for when tummy aches occur I pump these ones into us since they are a bit pricier!

Ok I'm headed to the health food store instead. I hope the person working there will know what kind I need. Tummy tune up? Or just tell her I need something that wards off the sv. ? Thank you!

I saw a commercial last night for one that looked really effective. Ill have to look up the name. My wife buys me a generic one for now.

Tummy tuneup can only be purchased through morethanalive.com, but any multi high strain is great for overall health!

Ive been using DDS Plus. 5 billion cfu's
    Hope they help!

Ive been using DDS Plus. 5 billion cfu's
    Hope they help!

I have been taking Sustenex, is that a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by perksofcharlie View Post
    ^^^^ highly reccomend!!!

I have one Dan Active probiotic drink every morning and it has helped me considerably with IBS symptoms and digestive issues. It's expensive though as it lasts me 8 days. I might take capsule form.

On a related note, I'm also considering taking my multivitamins and Cold FX again since flu season is around the corner and I'm in the middle of exam week at school. Would it be too much if I took all three once in the morning with a little food? I swear by Cold FX because not only do I avoid stomach viruses, it's been ages since I've gotten bedridden with colds.
    destroy what destroys you

I've also been using Sustenex but unsure if it's really any good!