Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Very sick/scared..

Ever since Wednesday morning, I've been sick. I woke up w/ flu-like symptoms. Needless to say, I've barely ate or drank anything since then and now I feel even worse! I know I'm dehydrated, and I know what I need to do to feel better, but my emetophobia kicks in and I can barely eat or drink. I am scared to death and so is my family and boyfriend. To add to this, I have been crying off and on and I just feel like giving up. I don't know what to do anymore! Nothing seems to help. I have been stuck at home for months now due to my emetophobia. I am afraid to go anywhere and it is affecting every aspect of my life. So now I feel even worse since I've been sick. The last thing I want to do is go to the ER, but I dunno how much more of this abuse my body can take.

I don't know where to turn to anymore, I'm lost, scared, depressed...

Default Re: Very sick/scared..

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well but you need to eat and or drink. Even if you drink some juice. You have to put nurishment into your body to get healthy. Take lots of vitamins and get some probiotics they will help you so much boost your immune system all around! Please take of yourself you need to get better!

I have been trying to eat and drink.. but the fear of getting sick makes me turn away the food. I have been trying to rationalize going to the ER because something more might be wrong.

Do you have flu like symptoms or sv* like symptoms? I think you need nurishment regardless.

At this point, I believe it would be in your best interest to go to the hospital and look into inpatient/outpatient care at your nearest mental health facility. It really is not that scary as it's portrayed in movies and T.V shows. I was hospitalized twice for my anxiety/depression. It kick started my treatment and helped significantly. All the nurses, social workers and psychiatrists were all extremely compassionate. If you truly feel hopeless, it could really be a good thing for you. Generally, they do not keep you for more than a 3-5 days or so. At the very least, you should go to the ER for an evaluation. If it is hindering you from eating/drinking, sleeping, etc. it really is considered an emergency at this point in time. I really hope you get the help you need. Best of luck to you! Message me if you have any questions.

Well.. on Tuesday afternoon, I was at work and I started to have a cough. The next morning I woke up with D* and dry H* and very congested. I went to the doctor on Friday and he said it seems to be the flu, but it's kind of early in the season to have it. I am already malnutritioned as it is, now I have this overwhelming fear of V* and I am spiraling out of control..

I have been hospitalized for malnutrition and to an eating disorder clinic. No one helped me at all... I've seen 20+ therapists, counselors, etc. throughout my life to no avail.

I know that the flu has been here in Nv for over a month and a half now so it's not too early...the flu can be scary and make you feel so very horrible, but you need to take care of yourself...I agree maybe you should seek some help.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. You cannot give up on treatment. I understand there may have been many therapists that seemed no help to you, but you need to take charge. There are many people out there who are certified to help you, but only if YOU want to help YOURself. I was in your shoes. I was very stubborn and thought that no one wanted to help me, or no one was good enough. You just have to keep trying. It is SO important to take care of yourself. Do not give up and keep your head up!

You need to go to the ER. They will give you IV fluids to get you rehydrated. I was where you are about a month ago. I knew that if I let it get worse, I was going to be in REAL trouble. When I got there I told them that I had a fear of vomiting, so they hooked me up to an IV and administered Zofran (antiemetic) and Ativan (anti anxiety) through the IV and I was getting hydrated, sedated and they prevented me from vomiting. I fell asleep rather quickly. I felt LOADS better after waking up, getting home and just relaxing. My body was rehydrated and I was calm. Please go to the ER.
    Last edited by 1scareddj; 11-22-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: I can't spell :p
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥