Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default my only emet friend told me this...per her doctor.

Her sons pediatrician told her that bismuth in pepto bismal kills the sv. Those were her exact words that he said. It shortens the sv or makes it mild or just kills it. Bismuth. Idk.

Default Re: my only emet friend told me this...per her doctor.

I wonder if it's true. I think by the time you have symptoms of an sv it would be too late because I don't think you actually get ill until the sv has made it to your small intestine. But, if you know you'd been exposed to it, maybe start taking it for a few days. It's kinda rough on your system, but still better than a sv. Idk either...
    BREATHE

My dr told me to take it when I travelled to mexico to avoid stomach issues..I took it the whole time there and never got sick, but my whole family did and they didn't take it....so idk?

Hmmmm...now another poster wrote that her doc said that you shouldn't give kids anything to stop v* or d*. I will admit I gave my kids pepto tablets the last few times they didn't feel well and they felt better and didn't get sick. Hubby too. So now I'm not sure what to do...anyone know about this?

I was talking to my suite mate at college who got a sv her freshman year. She told me the school nurse told her to drink gatorade and take Pepto-Bismol and she said it worked.

I was in nursing school just a couple of weeks ago (the emet got too bad to continue and I had to drop ) but we were taught that Bismuth will kill the bacteria that causes ulcers. Not sure about sv's because they aren't bacteria. Really, from everything I learned in my 2 semesters, the only thing you can do for an sv is drink lots of fluids and rest.

If the doctor said that he is very wrong. No meds kill noro, it has to run its course.

I've heard that Pepto-Bismol can help prevent salmonella poisoning by killing the bacteria; I'm not sure to what extent it can do that and obviously salmonella is not to be messed with - it can be extremely nasty. I think Pepto-Bismol is pretty good stuff really. It's not supposed to be given to children at all (under-16s) because of the salicylic acid in it (aspirin) because of the risk of Reye's syndrome (although I imagine that's one of those one-in-a-million risks). Children's Pepto-Bismol is just calcium carbonate like a general antacid, so I don't think that would be especially effective.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pepto could shorten the symptoms of an sv*, because it does calm the digestive system down when it's irritated. Sv*s are not like bacterial infections; your body does not need to expel the viral particles in either direction in order for symptoms to stop. It's a secondary response. Symptoms stop when the body has learned to fight the viral particles and stop them attaching to the intestinal cells, if that's the right term. You don't need to be entirely rid of the viral particles to feel better; that's why people are still contagious after their symptoms have stopped!

Having said that, doctors do tend to say that it's best not to take loperamide with sv*s, so I suppose that does prolong it in some way or perhaps just aggravates the digestive system in another way, because peristalsis is slowed down by the drug but the intestines are still irritated?? Pepto is a bit more mild in its action I guess?? Sorry, rambling!

I found an excellent article on norovirus. It says bismith can help the symptoms but has no effect on the virus. This is probably the best article I've found to date!

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/con.../noroview.html

Well for things like traveling to Mexico, it probably did help - but that's because when you're traveling to Mexico, your worry is bacterial; not viral.

As a side-note, a healthy shot of lemon juice (not lemonade - just the straight citrus) is acidic enough to kill off salmonella bacterial as well, if you think/know you've been exposed to it...

Jeremy