Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default This may be helpful to some of you!

Hey guys!
    Ok, well I've noticed many of you--like me--soothe your nausea/abdominal pain by chewing/sucking on mints or gum. Well I have mentioned it here before, but I am noticing I have been having so much air in my stomach which causes pretty frequent flatulence and mild-moderate diarrhea. I also experience nausea when this happens. I will cut to the chase here...you may find it helpful to know that many of the sugar free gums and BreathSavers by Hershey, and many other sugar free products--which I consume copious amounts of daily contain an ingredient known as sorbitol. Sorbitol is notorious for causing digestive upset/distress because it is not absorbed in the body's digestive tract. Consumed in large amounts, side effects will occur such as nausea, gas, abdominal pain/cramping and diarrhea. If any of you lovely people are avid gum chewers/mint suckers like I am, perhaps it would be wise to consider cutting back a bit on anything that states the product is sugar free and see if your side effects improve. I hope this was helpful to some of you! Hope everyone is doing well!
    -Kailey

Here are some links containing facts about sorbitol
    http://www.medicinenet.com/sorbitol-oral/article.htm

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sorbi...e-effects.html

^^Great and informative links!
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 11-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Default Re: This may be helpful to some of you!

I chew gum like no other! I'm gonna look on the pack and see if it's in there...thanks!!

Default Re: This may be helpful to some of you!

I hope it solves your problem! Or at least helps! Even if it doesn't contain sorbitol, chewing gum will cause gas/abdominal pain because when you are constantly chewing something more, you produce more saliva thus resulting in frequent swallowing which can cause you to swallow excess amounts of air. Good luck!