Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I posted earlier in the week about my daughter being sick, well she is fully recovered now, but my husband is sick. He came home from work last night not feeling well and as the night progressed he got worse. Now I have to go through the wait period again to see if I am going to get it. Since I was able to keep from getting it with my daghter now maybe I will be able to keep from getting it with my husband since I don't have to take care of him.I will be so glad when the next five days are up, I know I am wishing my life away. I wish if we were all going to get it we could get it at the same time and be over with it already, like why don't they have a national stomach virus day or something then we could all be prepared and not have to worry about it the rest of the time.

I hope that you manage to escape it this time too. Back in Nov. when my daughter and my hubby had, I still slept in the same bed with him, and did not get sick. Also, I didnt take all the precautions with him that I did with my daughter, because he chose to not inform me that he had been sick too. I dont know which is worse, knowing, or nor knowing .................

How long did it take for your daughter to get to feeling better? Maybe his will be short lived.

Does he have the stomach virus?

Yea hes got it [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]. This is not fun, but it only seems to last about 12 - 15 hours, hes eating a bbq plate right now.

How bad of a virus is it? If he's already eating like that it can't be that bad can it? And your daughter is already back to normal. How long did it take from her to having it to him getting it? I am sure you will be fine. If you didn't get it from your daughter maybe your immune system is protecting you from it.

I hope you stay well. Keep washing things, and all that. Ugh... I don't even like to think about your situation, but you got through it with your daughter, cleaned her and it up and everything. You can do this!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

You make yourself wait 5 days? After about 3 days I am ok. I have read that the incubation period is 24-48 hours. Sometimes up to 60...is that right? I was reading today that the average is 36 hours.

I hate this stuff. My husband wants me to go through hypnosis!

When somone in the house has the sv, it is horrible! You have to monitor every move they make...hope and pray they do not vomit and worry worry worry that we are going to get it. I know,I just did it 2 weeks ago.

The stomach virus is pretty much the most contagious virus...easy come easy go..so they say. People who dont mind vomiting think it is easy because it doesn't last long. But to me one minute is too long.

Just look for the signs, and if you feel slightly "off" watch what you eat. Food feeds the virus.

As much as I hate to tell you this, I will just so you will be aware..my 3 year old had the sv last February..threw up twice in the middle of the night. I took care of her, of course but I paniced immediately. After 3 days , I thought I was safe even though the incubation period can actually be 6 days. No such luck, I got it on the 6th day. I fought vomiting all night long, but the nausea was horrible. Do you have any antiemetics just in case?

Your immune system must be great...you will be fine!

J

Jenntish,

Just a little correction about the incubation period. It is only
    24-48 hours. The part that makes the wait so tricky when we have
    someone who is sick in our home versus exposure to the virus outside of
    the home is the number of days after they v*** or have d*** that they
    are still shedding a contagious virus. Some sources I have read
    say the shedding is up to 72 hours, maybe more, after the person
    has stopped v*** or had d***. That would fall within your
    framework of six days.

Stella

I hope your husband is doing better today, and I hope your not panicking too much. If you didn't catch it with your daughter and you were cleaning her up, I'm pretty sure your going to be safe from your husband.

Hope everything gets better real soon[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Aw well I really hope you don't get it, but when I got it back in December, sometimes I am really glad I did. I think it was a huge turning point for me, realizing the fear is just SO much worse than the act. So if it does happen, we're here for you. Also, you may get it, but you may not v*, especially since your an Emet it may just be nausea. I'm thinking bout you though!!

Laura*

Yea, I have got plenty of phenergran on hand, my ENT pescribes it to me by the 100's because of my vertigo and it making me nauseous. I think I am either getting the sv or the cold my daughter now has, but I have enough phenergran in me to hopefully stave of major naouseousness. I don't know which it is I have only time will tell, and I may be just fixing to have a vertigo attack. One thing about this emet thing, I am not as scared of myself getting sick if I am by myself. Don't get me wrong I will do anything in my power not to, but I seem to be able to relax a little bit more about it if I am by myself. Is anyone else like that? The virus isn't that bad, my hubby only got sick onces, but had severe diarreah, and my daughter only got sick 4 times in the first hour, and no more after that (shes only 2 and doesn't know how to fight nauseousness). Both my daughter and my hubby were completely better in about 20 hours, my hubby a little quicker than that.

When I think its the v* thing, I like to be alone too, even when its only a panic attack....

Stella..I know the incubation period is normally 24-48hours, but as long as the symptoms persist the virus is still alive, therefore there is still a chance of coming in contact. When I got my daughter's sv on the 6th day, it is very likely that I had it in my body for a day or 2 prior but appeared symptom free. The ER doctor told me that the actual incubation period for the sv or gastrointeritis is up to 5 days. If he was wrong, I am grateful...but I did get sick right before midnight on the 5th night. Honestly I think it all depends on what strain of virus it is. Thanks.

jenn

How is your hubby?

How are you?[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]