Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Clomipramine

Default Clomipramine

Has anybody tried clomipramine for this phobia? If so, are there side effects and does it work?ni took one sertraline pill and it made me feel awful and nauseous, so I'm a bit reluctant to take clomipramine.

Default Re: Clomipramine

I have been on Clomipramine for years. It did make me somewhat nauseous at first, but the key is to start on a very low dose and gradually increase until you get to therapeutic levels. Your doc. can advise you on that. I also would take gravol for the first week starting the clomipramine. It takes care of the nausea, which eventually goes away as your body adjusts to the medication. Clomipramine is the ONLY medication that has relieved my emetophobia. My sister is on it as well.

Thanks for this- its made me feel positive that this might help me. Can you tell me how many mg's you take per day and how much you started on etc please? I'm currently only taking 10mgs which probably won't make much difference!

Hi! I start with 10 mgs and go all the way up to 150mgs before I reach therapeutic levels. Everyone's body absorbs meds differently. My sister has only ever been on levels as high as 50 mgs. (She has OCD and emetophobia as well). That works for her. Your doctor will slowly raise your dosage until you both determine what is helpful for you. The most noticable side effect I experience is sleepiness. My head feels a little 'funny' when I first start it, too....like a bit off balance. But if you start slowly and increase as your doc suggests you shouldn't have any major problems. I have been taking it for over 20 years. As I have said, it's the only drug that works for me, personally. I have been on nearly every SSRI out there. Good luck. Please keep me posted. I'll be routing for you!

what is it?

It's a tricyclic antidepressant used to treat OCD and other anxiety disorders as well.

oh ok. Thanks!