Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emet vs Children

I was going to post a comment about this on a thread, but figured I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this too - at this stage, I can't ever see myself being able to have kids for fear of the exposure that children bring. I've always felt like I could never have children for this reason, and I'm really interested in how mothers deal with emet, and wondered if the phobia developed since having kids or if it already existed?
    I will say this now, though - if you're a mother with emet, I applaud you. Having to deal with this horrible phobia while bringing little people up is really admirable; I struggle to look after myself with emet let alone deal with poorly children and live with the fear this would bring!!
    Really intersted to hear people's thoughts on this - can anyone relate...?

Default Re: Emet vs Children

I've been emet my entire life...since like age 5, and I have a 3 year old daughter who I wouldn't trade for the world! Please, don't let emet stop you from having kids if you want them! Yes, its very hard when she's sick, however, I somehow manage to deal because I don't want her to have this fear....and believe me, they only vomit so many times, but you get soooo much love from them every single day....I couldn't imagine not being a Mom

Am I the only one who imagined emet and a child in a cagefight from that title? Cracked me up!!

But for real, I never wanted children to start with, and emet has reinforced it a bit. I'm at the point in my recovery that if I decided I would want children, I would do it and be okay with the chance of me getting sick. As of now though (and all of my life) I'm not interested in having any. Kudos to the emet mothers out there, though!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a mother of 2 boys 6 and 4. I have always had meet but it didn't affect me until my first born was 6 months and my neighbor asked me if I had some bleach. I asked why and she told me bc her daughter had a stomach bug. I never ever have heard of that before in my life. So once I found out about such a thing I became a spazz with germs, bc I didnt want it and certainly didnt want my kids to get something like that. Needless to say, both my boys have only gotten it once and I did what I had to do. My husband sat with them while I cleaned. I never caught any bugs from them. My husband did once, but no vomitting just diarrhea, stomach pains, fever and chills.

Don't let this phobia stop you. I had great pregnancies, great deliveries and I have amazing children! Wouldn't trade it for the world. Seeing their smiles, growth and accomplishments on a daily basis is way more rewarding than worrying about when they are going to get sick!

I am also a mum of a daughter who is 5 and 2 stepdaughters. I won't lie as I am constantly afraid of what they might all bring home BUT the love I have for my girls is definitely above and beyond this blooming emetophobia and much as I am terrified of v* I certainly wouldn't ever go back to life before kids. The happiness they bring to our lives definitely makes up for the illness that can happen. The way I try and see it is that in a year I have more healthy days by far with my daughter than poorly ones. xx

Well that's certainly helped me to see things in a different light I guess until you actually have those little bundles of joy, it's hard to see how much you would sacrifice for them and how amazing motherhood can be... I suppose I've always felt "destined" not to have children for various other reasons, and my emet has sort of reaffirmed this for me over the years.