Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Will I get it?

Default Will I get it?

I was at thanksgiving today and the 3 year old that was there had diarrhea 5 days ago then his mother started with diarrhea while we were there. I had to leave with my 10 month old because I was freaking out. My husband stayed and ate but I couldn't do it. The girl stayed upstairs while I was there so I got out of there before she even came down. I'm so afraid of getting some thing. My husband thinks I'm nuts. They said the boy has stomach problems so it wasn't a virus but since the mother had it today I'm starting to think it is a virus. What are your thoughts? I'm hoping I got out of there in time. The mother did not eat after I left....I'm such a mess.
    Everything happens for a reason...

Default Re: Will I get it?

If it is a virus, you have an extremely remote chance of getting it. And if the little boy, who has stomach issues, did not vomit, you have very little to worry about.

Am I crazy to be worrying? I just remember 6 years ago I had diarrhea and the next day everyone I was with got sick with V*. I am constantly referring back to that day but we were all using rhe same bathroom. This time she was upstairs where others weren't. Thanks for the reply...

did she cook any of the food that was there? That would be the only thing I would worry about since if she had a virus, it could be in her stool and transfered to the food she cooked if she didn't wash her hands properly. This is the number one reason I HATE Thanksgiving! I hope you feel better.

Does having diarrhea bother you? If not, you have NOTHING to worry about. The fact the the boy was not V* (and most children do easily) is most reassuring. Some SV's have only diarrhea. It is highly likely they have just that.

No the mother didn't cook anything. The just came in from out of town like 1 hr before dinner. She was eating snacks before dinner but that was it. I just saw her hold her stomach and go upstairs so I knew something was wrong.

I just worry that the diarrhea could cause someone else to get sick like it did years ago. Diarrhea doesn't bother me, it's just what it COULD lead to...

I just pray my baby doesn't get it since the 3 year old was playing with her but it was brief! I made sure of that!
    Last edited by adunlavey; 11-24-2011 at 07:28 PM.

I always keep antiemetics on hand just in case. (like Gravol) works very well. Take it at the first sign of nausea. My husband and kids had diarrhea one Christmas time that lasted for 10 days. My sons were babies and didn't V* once! Neither did my hubby. I didn't get it at all. Gravol tends to constipate me :P

I have Zofran that I got when I was pregnant plus i have Lorazapam in case I have a panic attack.

Looks like you have the bases covered. Relax if you can. You most likely will not get anything. If you feel the least bit nauseated, take the Zofran. It is a POWERFUL antiemetic. (Did you know it is used to treat people taking chemo?) If the anxiety gets overwhelming, take an ativan. You will be fine. Enjoy your evening!

Thanks so much BallyKissangel! I'm pretty calm right now, it's tomorrow that I worry about. Sadly enough I have the meds out on the counter and a face mask, just in case....it's pathetic but it keeps me going. How old are your kids? Have you ever v* from something they had?

Quote Originally Posted by adunlavey View Post
    Thanks so much BallyKissangel! I'm pretty calm right now, it's tomorrow that I worry about. Sadly enough I have the meds out on the counter and a face mask, just in case....it's pathetic but it keeps me going. How old are your kids? Have you ever v* from something they had?
    My sons are 11 and 13. I have never V*d from any illness I caught from them...even when I cleaned up after them and had them V* on me! I have gotten some nausea and diarrhea, but I take an antiemetic at the first sign of nausea. If the mask and meds offer you relief, good! Take it however you can get it. It's not pathetic at all, Sweetie! We all do what we need to to cope. Do what you need to do to stay calm. I just know you will not be sick!! xo

You are so nice. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, honey. Please do. Have a good sleep. Things will look better in the morning. Feel free to contact me ANYTIME. xox Will be thinking of you!