Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Smile MIGHT CAUSE ANXIETY! Advice For Getting Over This Phobia

Hey guys, i've been emetophobic since as long as I can remember, and I just recently had my 19th birthday, so it's been a long time. Now i've come across something that might help you guys out. Now i'm personally scared of the action of V*, and that's it. I get massive anxiety attacks if I see it, hear it or even hear someone talking about it, which the anxiety will of course cause nausea. So it sucks, but for 3 months, I literally have been anxiety free. Now I moved out of my parents a liittle over 3 months ago, for the time being, i'm staying with a friend who has 2 toddlers. We all know little kids V* alot right? Well, basically, what i'm saying is, the best thing to do is just be around all the V* you come across, don't run. Because that's just making it more and more instinct to leave when you hear of it or see it, which will cause your anxiety. My friend himself and his kids have probably V* about 15 times since i've been here, and i've heard it and seen it even. I started going to parties with really close friends, of course I don't drink and I don't do drugs since they sometimes make you V*. But at these parties everyone's gotten sick alot. Since it's my mind creating the fear, being around it more has almost numbed me to the anxiety, I don't get it anymore. Last night I had a birthday party, and my ex (Who i'm getting close too again) was V* ALOT from being so overly drunk. But I sat there with her since I really care about her. Rubbed her back, sat with her for hours until she came to bed, I felt a small bit nauseous since it was SO up close, but my body and mind are now so used to the idea that it went away fast. I haven't had panic attacks, haven't felt nauseous or nothing. It has really been the best 3 months of my life since i've made such progress. Start off not looking away when you see it on T.V, try to train your mind to become comfortable with the thought of V*, i've actually considered ALOT and very deeply of making myself V* just to get over the last bit of the anxiety, but i'm not quite ready yet. My friend cooked some food, and both him and his son started to get real nauseous (The food was fine, they both just didn't feel well) but of course just hearing that after eating the same food, i'd normally freak out and stay home and feel very ill from the anxiety, but I went out and it barely even came into mind, I felt fine throughout the day. I guess it really just doesn't freak me out anymore. If you guys have the strength, I really hope you consider this approach, it's made me happy again, and i'm excited to beat this fear, which I know one day I will. So be strong guys and let yourself get better.

Default Re: MIGHT CAUSE ANXIETY! Advice For Getting Over This Phobia

Good for you! Although I have 2 kids and still have my fear...

Default Re: MIGHT CAUSE ANXIETY! Advice For Getting Over This Phobia

That's awesome for you! I still don't have the strength to do that though. I hate that I'm soo weak when it comes to emet. But it's good to hear people overcoming their emet. I'm glad for you