Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What does it feel like to have a SV???

It's been YEARS since my last V experience that I've completely forgotten what it feels like. What I'm wondering is when you have a SV, do you feel nauseous/stomach cramps etc first or do you just V out of nowhere?? My main fear is that I will just suddenly V in front of other people without warning.. does this ever happen? (For the sake of my sanity I really really hope not!)

Keffa

Default Re: What does it feel like to have a SV???

No, not in my experience. When I've had sv's in the past I usually feel "off" for a day or so before, then it does it quickly, but not really...I first get bad stomach pains, nausea, and just feel horrible...then I v*. So, for me, I usually have warning...some people just get n* and v* but you are always n* first, at least thats what I've always heard.

The only real experience I have had was when I had the s*v* in the middle of the night with no prior warning. I'm not even sure if I would recognize REAL n*. I'm not saying this to scare people because 9 times out of 10 you will have enough prior warning that something isn't right before ''it'' happens...but I was just a child at the time so it can be a bit hard to know what's going on sometimes.

I can relate to what different people are saying, so I can't tell you there's one certain path you will go down if you get a stomach virus. Also remember, stomach viruses are different. Sometimes people vomit without any nausea or warning at all. This is called precipitate vomiting. Some strains of norovirus are known for causing precipitate vomiting. Children, of course, are much more likely to vomit without warning than adults.

Most of the time, people feel unwell (nauseated) before they throw up. Emets tend to be nauseated longer than other people, because we consciously avoid vomiting in situations that would lead most people to go and puke. The last time I puked, I was nauseated for about three hours before I puked, although I probably could have thrown up within a half hour of waking up sick. At least an hour anyway.

The last time I was nauseated, I woke up feeling only slightly unwell and didn't even think of staying home from work. I started feeling uncomfortable at about 10 or 11 a.m., and by noon I knew I was very unwell (although I hadn't realized I was actually nauseated) and had to go home. It wasn't until at least an hour later, when I realized my stomach wasn't digesting, that I took my temperature and knew I was close to vomiting. I used antiemetics (Pepto-Bismol) and kept from actually puking, although I felt nauseated the rest of the day.

As an emet, I think you're pretty unlikely to have precipitate vomiting and just vomit in front of other people without warning. Most emets pay very close attention to their stomach and abdominal activity. I worry about it too, so you're a very typical emet!

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.