Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Worried! Dad Just Had SV*

I've never posted on here before but I am extremely desperate at this point.

I suppose I should issue a trigger warning before getting into my story...sorry everyone!

I traveled out of the state yesterday for the holiday. My dad (who lives around me) was there as well. I found out that after having dinner with him on Sunday night, he came down with a sv*. We were all gathering for a holiday where everyone is sitting eating food together, so I figured it was the worst possible time to be in contact with someone who his recovering from a recent bout of v* (it was just v*, no d*; he did have a fever, though). He said the onset of his symptoms was Sunday at midnight.

His wife was with him the whole time he was ill, and she has not gotten sick (yet). I took all necessary precautions while eating yesterday (washed my hands constantly, especially after holding my dad's hand during a prayer) and only ate food with which I could use a fork. He did not prepare any of the food.

I keep counting down the hours to the up-to-72-hour incubation period (it's been over 24 hours now since I would have contracted the virus). But the last time I had a sv* the incubation period was 36 hours...so I have about 12 more hours of living in hell. I'm supposed to go out with friends tonight, but I'm afraid to do so (especially if there's drinking involved - imagine having a hangover on top of a sv*!). Does anyone have any suggestions? Or facts that might make me feel better? (For some reason, facts are the most reassuring things when dealing with my emet).

Default Re: Worried! Dad Just Had SV*

It sounds quite possible to me that your dad might have had f*p* because of the fever and the fact that his wife isn't ill, yet was around him the whole time. And if it was an s*v*, you can only catch it from ingesting v* or d* particles which would be pretty hard to do now that he's better! I know the anxious feeling all too well, but I'm absolutely sure you'll be fine.

I think you should be in the clear...you have to ingest the v* or d* particles to get sick. Try to relax and do all you can to boost your immune system...hope you are ok

Thanks so much for your replies! I made it through the incubation period, so I think I'm in the clear.