Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Please help me, panicking!!

Everyone in my immediate family knows my fear and to "help" me they will purposely hide any information from me if they have gotten sick or they know something is going around, or whatever. They try to keep it from me hoping I wont find out.

I have two kids, they go to daycare at my in-laws house (she is a daycare provider so she has other kids in addition to mine). We were visiting her house last night and I noticed one of the chairs in her daycare went missing, so I asked about it. She casually said "Oh yea one of the kids threw up on it so I had to get it out of here to have it cleaned." Then she covered her mouth (like, oops I wasn't supposed to say that) and my husband shot her the look of death. Apparently my husband knew about it and had asked everyone to keep it from me. So I felt like they already think I am crazy if they know I will freak out, so I don't want to prove how crazy I am and I tried to be cool about it and just be normal. It was so hard. We left a short time later and I freaked out as soon as we got in the car to my husband. Of course I have a zillion thoughts running thru my mind. When did it happen? That means my kids were around this sick child and might be harboring this illness. When are they going to get sick? The waiting period ti see whether or not we are infected is where my anxiety goes thru the roof, and my husband knows that. So before I asked him when it happened, he anticipated my question and said "the sickness happened two weeks ago, so don't worry about it, none of us caught it"

The problem is that I know he's lying, because I go over to my in-laws frequently since my husband and I share duties picking up the kids from daycare. The last time I was there was a week ago and that chair was still there. So I know the illness is more recent than he says. I know he's just trying to calm my fears so I didn't push him to tell me the truth, because part of me wonders do I really want to know.

Anyway, my whole point is that I have no real info to go on, but I can only assume that this happened Wednesday (last day my kids were in daycare foe the week). If they came on contact with this kid on Weds, and it is now Saturday and everyone is still well, do you think we are in the clear? Or would we still be in the incubation period? Please tell me, as my fear is taking over my life. I am making myself sick just sitting here waiting foe the bomb to drop.

Default Re: Please help me, panicking!!

Quote Originally Posted by ktacserv View Post
    Everyone in my immediate family knows my fear and to "help" me they will purposely hide any information from me if they have gotten sick or they know something is going around, or whatever. They try to keep it from me hoping I wont find out.

I have two kids, they go to daycare at my in-laws house (she is a daycare provider so she has other kids in addition to mine). We were visiting her house last night and I noticed one of the chairs in her daycare went missing, so I asked about it. She casually said "Oh yea one of the kids threw up on it so I had to get it out of here to have it cleaned." Then she covered her mouth (like, oops I wasn't supposed to say that) and my husband shot her the look of death. Apparently my husband knew about it and had asked everyone to keep it from me. So I felt like they already think I am crazy if they know I will freak out, so I don't want to prove how crazy I am and I tried to be cool about it and just be normal. It was so hard. We left a short time later and I freaked out as soon as we got in the car to my husband. Of course I have a zillion thoughts running thru my mind. When did it happen? That means my kids were around this sick child and might be harboring this illness. When are they going to get sick? The waiting period ti see whether or not we are infected is where my anxiety goes thru the roof, and my husband knows that. So before I asked him when it happened, he anticipated my question and said "the sickness happened two weeks ago, so don't worry about it, none of us caught it"

The problem is that I know he's lying, because I go over to my in-laws frequently since my husband and I share duties picking up the kids from daycare. The last time I was there was a week ago and that chair was still there. So I know the illness is more recent than he says. I know he's just trying to calm my fears so I didn't push him to tell me the truth, because part of me wonders do I really want to know.

Anyway, my whole point is that I have no real info to go on, but I can only assume that this happened Wednesday (last day my kids were in daycare foe the week). If they came on contact with this kid on Weds, and it is now Saturday and everyone is still well, do you think we are in the clear? Or would we still be in the incubation period? Please tell me, as my fear is taking over my life. I am making myself sick just sitting here waiting foe the bomb to drop.
    I've been in the same situation before but, generally speaking, if it was anything you had to worry about there'd have been far more chairs missing - noro is the most likely to affect a grown adult, and that spreads like wildfire in daycare facilities - think about it, how is it spread? Fecal-oral contamination. Any place with lots of, well, fecal matter, and a lot of not-so-hygenic practices of putting fingers, toys, etc.. in mouths, is bound to have a lot of kids out. The worst it could be is rotavirus and you'd most likely be asymptomatic. On top of that, kids get sick a lot. My best friend used to throw up nearly every day before school...

Default Re: Please help me, panicking!!

I know it's frustrating, but you will inevitably drive yourself crazy with all the 'what ifs' going through your head. Try to keep yourself distracted as best as you possibly can. This kid could have vomited due to practically anything. Unfortunately, there is just really no way of knowing. I do not think your kids will fall ill, so just try and relax. I am sorry you suspect your husband was dishonest with you :/ but sometimes a little white lie can do a bit of good in cases such as this. I am sure he had only the best intentions in mind. He was just doing everything in his power to prevent triggering your anxiety. Anyways, I do believe you are in the clear. I definitely think the 'bomb' would have gone off by now hang in there!