Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is this in my head? (long post)

So i have been wondering lately how much of this crap is in my head and how much is that I am really physically not feeling well. Do i make myself not feel well? Am I so stinking scared of getting a SV that I always feel like i have one? I am currently not feeling well and havent all day. It seems like things get worse when I really pay attention to things that are going on around me. For example, lately it seems like at every turn I hear of someone being sick. Right before Thanksgiving my friend replied to my post on FB that her kids are sick with an SV. Then Thanksgiving day my Dad told me that his friend had been up sick all night Ving. Then, my husband said he asked the neighbor if she was going to go shopping on Black Friday and she said no because she always ends up sick when she does (he told me this as we were black friday shopping!) Then to top it off, my son's friend came over and was hanging out with him and my little ones all day. When we were telling him it was time to go he told my son that his mom had dropped him off on our island because she had gotten sick yesterday and didnt want to be bothered today. Plus she didnt want him to catch what she has. The kid was also at my house last night and i had to take him home. What the heck is wrong with that lady. She already exposed this kid and then sent him to my house where i have small children! Anyway, so now i am wondering...are these warnings for me to stay on my guard? Somethings to remind me that although i havent had a SV in awhile, I am not invincible? I just keep wondering how crazy am I that these little things that people tell me are warnings to me? If i even feel the slightest bit "off" I automatically assume that i am coming down with something. If my stomach grumbles the slightest bit I know for sure its going to happen. I must have a SV or something. Am i really feeling the waves of nausea everyday? Is there a hidden reason for the nausea or is it all in my head?
    How common are SVs? Will my hand sanitzer and my excessive handwashing really work? Can I really depend on Antiemetics to prevent me from Ving? If you have an SV is it for sure that you will always V? Also I am getting less and less sleep now that its the time of year for SVs to run rampid through my kids' schools. I have always feared waking up in the middle of the night with the need to V. That happened to me as a kid and i think that may have been the beginning of my emet. I stay up late at night because i think that if i can make it pretty late and not feel sick then I must be in the clear. I know this is weakening my immune system cause you must sleep and eat to stay healthy.
    Does anyone else feel sick daily? Is this in my head? Or is there really something wrong?

Default Re: Is this in my head? (long post)

i feel sick everyday, not all day all the time, but everyday i get n* atleast once. its so sad. i hate it. im always so so so so so scared im getting sick. i feel like im coming down with a cold now, my head hurts and my sinus area hurts, my ears hurt and i have post nasal drip and somehow i think its a sv?! everyday, not a day goes by i dont think it may happen, hand sanitizer helps, but washing with good ol soap and warm water does best. i am always always washing my hands and never put my hands in my mouth without washing. but I eat out at restaurants occaionally. i get so scared ill get sick from one. i really shouldnt eat out. but i dont want my family to make fun of me. I totally understand how you feel, the seeing ppl around you say they are sick. you feel like ugh it must be a sign, it must be bad, adults are getting it... so on and so forth... man i hate how this phobia makes me think......

Thanks Jennh! Its so nice to know someone else out there is as bad as i am. I hate feeling this way. Its so irrational, but i guess thats what a phobia is. I wish i could overcome this and be "normal" for once. My best friend knows about my phobia and she somewhat understands but I dont think she quite knows how irrational i can get. One day my 2 yr old son V*ed on my arm and hand. Uggghhhhh! My friend said well get him cleaned up and we can go ahead and go shopping (she wanted to go to a town 45 minutes away!) No way was i taking any chances of him getting sick in the car...besides i felt horrible after. I know it was in my head but I was so scared of getting whatever he had because he actually V*ed on my body!
    I will say this....there is hope out there. He V*ed on me and I didnt get it. And, once we got home he was acting normal and I began to feel a little better. He didnt V any more and he actually ate. I survived it! He must not have had a virus but I was still proud of myself for cleaning him up and making it through without freaking out in front of my friend.
    There has to be some way to get myself to a reasonable level of this phobia. I have thought about counseling but just have made it in that direction yet.

don't feel bad, i am just as irrational about my emetophobia. once my sister v* in my car and i didn't drive it for 3 months, even after it'd been cleaned out. i feel like i'm coming down with something like 75% of the time. i hate feeling this way. i've almost lost my job because i refused to work in the same area with a girl who had come to work with a stomach virus. it's something i face every single day and i feel so helpless sometimes! i don't know what to do. =[

I'm the same way but I do believe 99% is in my head - I'll start thinking about v* in a certain situation & the anxiety will grow & grow until I actually feel like I will v*. I know it's in my head & I try to calm myself with thoughts such as "it's not happened before in this situation, why is it any more likely to happen now?". Sometimes they're affective & I manage to calm myself, other times the panic gets out of control. I completely Understand what you're all talking about. It is nice to know you're not alone & there are people to talk to because I, like many emets, haven't really told anybody (except my CBT therapist) the true extent of my fears so try & cover my strange behaviour when experiencing a panic attack. I have good periods & bad, without fail I'll go every day thinking about it, sometimes it doesn't have a severe affect & I cancarry on as normal, but sometimes it does. Wish it happened less often but we have to stay positive !!

99% of what you ladies have on here is panic related symptoms. I just have emet but ive noticed a pattern with most of you. Im not judging either, just an observation.