Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can you get sick from using public restrooms?

Making myself feel nauseous again tonight worrying. The only thing I've done is be around a lot of people lining for rides, and using the public restrooms (I never use them normally but I have no choice) It got me thinking...if someone has d* or v* in a cubicle, and not long after, unknowing to you, you go in there, Could there be particles in the air you breath in? It sounds stupid but sometimes I look in several cubicles if I see a toilet with stains or if it smells. I am incredibly clean with my hands, and unless I have to (always using hand sanitizer) I don't touch my food with my hands. Lol...thanks

Default Re: Can you get sick from using public restrooms?

I am in the same boat! Public restrooms are atrocious. I have seen some horrific ones; none of the toilets flushed, waste everywhere, oh my goodness it is any human's worst nightmare :/ I understand your concern if someone has to expel waste in a public toilet, and I will tell you it is not irrational. However, I think it is not likely to ingest the particles. I could be wrong as I am not an expert on this--I wish I was!! I too check to see if the toilet seems less...clean for me to use. If I see anything amiss, I will not use it haha. I think you should be just fine, especially because you are so diligent about washing your hands. I do think overdoing it on the hand sanitizer can be problematic though. I use it only when soap and water is not available. That is without a doubt your best option!