Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Omgosh! Bad bacon!

I am freaking out! I just ate some bacon that expired on Nov. 10. I am not sure if i bought it awhile ago and took it out to thaw the day before thanksgiving or if it was the one i just bought. Either way, the date was expired! I didnt notice it until after i had eaten 2 pieces. I cant believe i didnt check! I am usually a stickler for that. I never eat anything without checking the date. I guess i thought it was the one i bought the other day and assumed it was good. I am SOOOOO mad at myself for being an idiot. Do you think it will make me sick? Whats the deal on expiration dates? It said to use by Nov 10, 2011. If it was the one i had frozen then it was thawed since Tuesday or Wednesday in the fridge. Of course it was the Virginia Cured so doesnt that mean its smoked or something? How bad of a situation am i in? Help please!!!!

Default Re: Omgosh! Bad bacon!

I'm pretty sure you are safe. Cured meat is salted, which is a preservative, which makes the shelf life longer. My bf eats expired meat a week or two after the expiration date and is always fine. It drives me insane, but he's always just fine..lol

Thank you for your reply! I hope i am ok. I thought about the salt thing....then i had to think about the fact that I bought the one that says 40% less salt!!!!!! So far I am ok. Its only been an hour though. If its gonna get me it should pretty soon right? I was thinking within 2 to 3 hours. 17 days seems like a long time to me! Your Bf is brave! lol

My boyfriend is an idiot

^^ Hahahaha.
    You probably are fine. There is so much salt in bacon and preservatives, so you'll most likely be fine. And yeah it would probably hit pretty soon if it was bad. You're most likely in the clear. My family eats old food all the time and none of us have EVER had fp* (knock on wood).

2 hours now and so far so good!

8 hours. I am hoping that means i am in the clear. I have heard of people getting salmonilla poisioning 8-10 hrs after they ate eggs. I havent eaten anything since the bacon out of fear....am i good?

Ok its been almost 11 hours and although i thought i was in the clear everything i am reading says that it could be 12-48 hours. I did finally wat about 10 saltine crackers and 2 bites of fish. Then I read this crap that says i might not be in the clear yet. I dont want this to happen in the middle of the night. And i dont want to have to stay up so late to see if it does! OMGosh now i am freaking myself out again. Someone please help me to relax about this. I feel like I may be being a bit irrational!