Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation GIRLS POST - Naproxen Causes Stomach Upset?

Hey ladies,

Awhile ago, I was prescribed Naproxen (an anti-inflammitory) for my increasingly bad menstrual cramps. I haven't actually tried them yet, though, because using new medications makes me extremely anxious - the side effects always seem to include nausea, so if I can get by on Midol, I will.

Today however was a particularly bad day. I planned on taking it, but decided to do a bit of research first. I found a reviews site, and at least 20 people complained of stomach upset! I'm now terrified to use it!

Has anyone else used Naproxen before (cramps or otherwise)? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Default Re: GIRLS POST - Naproxen Causes Stomach Upset?

I take Naproxen quite often, and I have never had any problems with it. If you are a little nervous, take it with food. No worries!

I took Naproxen and it TORE my stomach apart!!!!! I ended up with a bleeding ulcer...I will never touch the stuff again. But that's just my experience. I know a lot of people use it with no issues.

scaredsick--did you take it regularly over a long period of time? I have knowledge that it has the potential to cause ulcers, but it shouldn't cause any problems if it is for short term relief.

I take naproxen, but it's different from ibuprofen in that you can't take it nearly as frequently because it is a bit stronger and lasts a lot longer! You're only supposed to take 3 or 4 in a 24 hr period, they last about 8-12 hours which is fantastic. I've never had any problems with it.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scaredsick View Post
    I took Naproxen and it TORE my stomach apart!!!!! I ended up with a bleeding ulcer...I will never touch the stuff again. But that's just my experience. I know a lot of people use it with no issues.
    It tore my stomach up too. I only took it for a few days after surgery about 20 years ago. I felt like my stomach was going to fall out I won't touch it again either. Everyone's different, though. I have a sensitive stomach with medications and some don't.

I've taken it before but only when the cramps are excruciatingly painful. I make sure I've eaten well (which can be hard to do when you're in agony) and find that taking two is all I need. Have you tried taking Vit B6? It was recommended to me and I've only been on it briefly but I think it might be helping a bit.

I took it for about 2 weeks straight....maybe that's why it caused an ulcer in me?

^^That could definitely be a possibility. I only taken Naproxen when I desperately need it so maybe a few times per month.

This was when I was in high school and I had a broken finger, so they gave it to me for pain and swelling...that's why I took it for a few weeks. I haven't taken it since though! lol

I am taking it right now. I always take it with food, and it hasn't bothered my stomach at all. It does make me feel a bit dizzy though.

I've taken the 500 mg ones up to three times per day on the worst day of my period. I only take it that day and I make sure to eat well. I get n* with my period regardless. I think if anything the naproxen helps because it blocks some of the effects of the hormones that make me feel n*.

I have the 500 mg ones too. I think I will try it next time, but only if the pain's really horrible. Thank you for all of your input! It's really appreciated.

I've tried Aleve, which has naproxen in it...it irritated my stomach a little bit, but I never v*. Then again, I don't think I took it with much food.

It made my stomach feel icky, I didn't take more than one dose.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I take it for cramping too. I have no problems with it but I always take it with food and only if I'm in so much pain that I can't see straight. Usually I just take Premysen and it knocks the cramps right out.