Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself as I'm a newbie to this site. I'm a 40 year old married mum of 3. I've suffered with emetophobia in varying degrees since I was around 11 or 12ish years old. I have no idea what triggered it for me (I did start hypnotheapy a few years ago but didn't have the courage to see it through so didn't get any nearer to a cure). I was pretty much ok until I had my children (the oldest is 16) as I could avoid anyone or any situation that I didn't like. Of course, as a mum, you can't do that, you have no choice but to cope with it, and kids get ill from time to time! It wasn't too bad when they were tiny, although I didn't like it, I coped, just. As the years have gone by, it's got worse and worse with each time they are ill. I know exactly when I last v'd and it was a long time ago but that doesn't stop me panicking at the slightest sign of illness in any of my kids. My husband is really supportive and tries his best but as with anyone who doesn't suffer with this, he finds it hard to understand.

I'm struggling at the moment as my parents went to visit my brother and his family on sunday and that night my sister in law and my niece went down with a stomach bug. I've managed to avoid my parents since then but today is my Dad's birthday. He phoned me this morning and said that him and my mum both now have the bug and advised me to stay away. I know it's illogical as I haven't seen them since last week and they live 5 miles away but I feel really panicky! Also feeling really guilty about not seeing my Dad on his birthday, especially when my mum asked me why I'm not seeing my poor dad on his birthday. She really isn't understanding about this at all. I'm sure she thinks I choose to be like this! If only!!!

Anyway, that's me. Hoping I may be able to find a bit of peace through this site.

Helen

Default Re: Hello

Welcome to the site. I hope you find support here. Every single member is very supportive. I can relate to quite a bit of what you said, and I am happy for you that your husband is a good sport about it. Sometimes it's hard for others to understand this phobia as they, themselves, do not have it. Don't feel guilty about not seeing your dad! I know it's hard not to feel a hint of guilt, but he did call and advise you to keep your distance! It's nothing you did at all. I apologize for your mother's resentment towards you. It's never easy--my mother is the same way. She is very cold at times and we do not get along unfortunately. All the more reason to find support in others who will not let you down. I wish you the best of luck!

sorry, just noticed I've probably put this in the wrong section of the site, still trying to get to grips with it! lol

Should also mention that I've managed to pass this on to my daughter. She is 14 now but started showing signs of it when she was 8 or 9 years old. She has now gone on to develope OCD quite badly as a direct result of emetaphobia. We kind of wind each other up with it, however much I try and hide my feelings from her. She has a fantastic tutuor at school who also teaches phsycology who is very understanding and following her advice our gp has just refered her for CBT. We are awaiting an appointment and I'm praying that it works for her as I don't want her to spend her life suffering as I do.

Hello Helen! Welcome I also hope you find help & support here since we all suffer to certain degrees...I know how you feel I avoid people at all cost if I hear they have a sv* and I freak when my children are even acting the slightest bit ill with a sv*. I have a husband who tries to be supportive but he was raised in a very how do you say it "agh get over it household" and sometimes doesn't understand my panic. My mom has always been awesome with my phobia, just like she is in the hospital because she had neck surgery and she warned me "sis I feel nauseated please get the nurse" and she doesn't hold it against me, I know I am blessed with a mom like that. I'm sorry your parents are ill that is no good I hope it is over fast for them and everyone gets ill. But I knowhow you feel whenever I see people have a sv* I try to rationalize that I have had no contact with them. Hope you can settle yourself and have a peaceful evening...I know exactly how you feel right now!

thank you, it's mad isn't? The logical part of me knows that's it's ok, I haven't seen them for a week, there's no way I could have caught it, but the emetophobia part of me feels like it's tempting fate even thinking that! Also, how long should I avoid them for. If they are feeling better tomorrow, will they still be contagious?

I would stay away at least 24 hours after symptoms subside. Although they can be "shedding" the virus for up to 2 weeks through their poop. Meaning if they have a bm and don't properly wash their hands then touch surfaces they could contaimenate the surface. Also if they don't clean with bleach or lysol spray the virus can live on the surfacews for up to 2 weeks.

Generally, people are still contagious for about two weeks post recovery. Don't let that frighten you!! Just wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face

ok, well they are due to come to my house to babysit on monday, hoping they will be ok by then. I will avoid visiting them for now if possible, although my mum is very houseproud so I think will have disinfected properly. I hope...