Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Coping with the anxiety

So I have an exam tomorrow and that is my WORST nightmare because I'm trapped in a room full of other people. What if someone V*s in the room? What if I get sick but I can't leave because it's an exam and we have to stay until the end??
    I am so so so nervous I cannot concentrate. And when I get nervous I instantly feel very nauseous and I have no idea how I'm meant to get through an exam when I feel so completely debilitated by nerves, fear and nausea??? HELP ME! How do I calm my nerves for 2 hours? Deep breathing works but I have to REALLY concentrate on it and it gets very tiring after a while!
    Help please...

Default Re: Coping with the anxiety

Hey! I am sorry you are feeling anxious, but it's totally normal to feel like that before an exam. I do all the time and so do many others! Make sure you get enough sleep tonight and you eat a fairly sized breakfast. Before you go in to the exam room tomorrow, take a few deep breaths and just keep telling yourself you can do this. If you can, maybe bring a few mints with you to suck on while taking the test. Mints have a calming effect on me and it makes it much easier to focus. However, if you do bring mints or gum, make sure it is NOT sugar free. Sugar free products contain sorbitol which will upset your stomach. I learned the hard way :/ haha good luck on your exam! You can get through it and you will feel so much better once you do!!

Default Re: Coping with the anxiety

howd the exam go?
    sorry i didn't see this thread earlier; i guess its too late to help, but for future help what i do when i have tests and stuff is either sit by the door (my teachers know i have anxiety and they try to make things easier on me) so that i can slip out if i feel sick (since my teachers know about me i can just leave if im nervous, i dont even have to ask) or take my test to the office and work on it down there in a room by myself. my school counceler knows about me too; shes the one who told my teachers for me, and she has helped me through lots of panic attacks so she understands how everything is just a lot less scary when im hiding away in this room by myself, haha. its not healthy to always try to escape the terrors of the classroom tho, so i only go down there if i really need help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.