Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Talking Introducing Myself and Questions!

Hi everyone! My name is Taylor and I'm just starting out here today... And let me just say I'm SO THANKFUL I found a site like this! So I'm 17 years old and I started my fear of v* last year on Thanksgiving day. But the thing is in my situation, NOTHING happened that day! No one got sick, nothing was out of the ordinary, I just all of a sudden (while my entire family was at my house), put into this hardcore panic attack. I didn't even know what was happening. I ran into the bedroom and started pacing until my mom quickly came in. I just remember pacing saying "I'm gonna throw up, I don't want to, I'm gonna throw up, I don't want to!" And I never did. To this very day, I have never done it! Maybe it's the fear of the "unknown"? I've lost a lot of friends, a lot of events, a lot of memories I can't replace. I just want this whole thing to be done. I've taken meds, been to a therapist (well a few), received Reiki treatments, been hypnotized... but it stays the same. Well, I just wanted to share my story, and I would love any feed-back or any conversation at all Have a great day everyone!

Default Re: Introducing Myself and Questions!

Hey and welcome to the site!
    What you described sounds like an anxiety/panic attack to me. I often get overwhelmed when there is a lot of people around..like last Christmas, I spent the entire day thinking over and over again ''I'm going to get s*, I'm going to get s*'' - and I never was, nor did I even feel s*. This phobia is weird. But do you really have an actual fear of v*? like perhaps a past experience when you were younger that you can recall?

I think fear of loss of control and feeling like you don't know what's coming and you cant control it really fuels this fear. Not everybody has a trigger event, v* is just something that you can't control and that scares the s*** out of lots of people!

Anyway, welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you need to
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Hello and welcome. Your story sounds like how my emetophobia started - with a crazy panic attack that I maybe misinterpreted as "I'm going to throw up and I don't want to" because nausea and other stomach issues are so common with panic attacks. I think what happens is our brains link what we zero in and focus on (nausea in this case) during that very first panic attack with vomiting and a phobia is born. The panic attack and the vomiting become one and the same in our mind. That's what I think happens.

That is what a lot of people have said/therapists. They say that I don't actually have a fear of v*, I just have anxiety which comes out as that fear, focusing on it. I have this "fear of the unknown because there's so much in my life that I can not control that all happened at once. My mom got cancer, my brother became a drug addict, my best-friend moved, i lost friends... and then all of a sudden I was randomly afraid of v*. Hopefully I can work through it soon though because it's a daily struggle to go to work, and especially, my senior year of high school.