Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Anxiety vs. SV*

Default Anxiety vs. SV*

Sorry for another post...but I can't find information on this anywhere. How do you distinguish between a SV* and stomach problems stemming from anxiety? I know we all feel the anxiety from emetophobia, how do you tell the difference? Its been so long since I've felt n* so I don't know really what to look for.

Default Re: Anxiety vs. SV*

I have never had a stomach virus but I have daily panic attacks. My symptoms are nervousness, heart thumping. Gaggy feeling, numbness, headaches, dizziness, and hot flashes with massive chills and shakes. Sons like a virus to me but I never get sick from it, although the nausea has gotten more intense (well throat gagging nausea, not gut nausea). If you consistently feel yucky, it's prob anxiety

It can be pretty tricky sometimes. Your mind is VERY powerful. For instance, today, I ate lunch and was starving. My horse has been hurt for days now, limping around in pain. I was rushing out the door to meet the farrier at the barn and later the vet and I felt SO sick on my way there. I had stopped at CVS to pick up some things, and I honest to God thought I was going to have to run out of there. I felt so close to being ill, felt hot, mouth watering, heavy stomach...I felt this way all afternoon convinced I was sick. I even had a low-grade fever for several hours! I didn't eat anything for the rest of the day and took three Benadryl and still felt a lump in my stomach. As soon as my vet came out and diagnosed my horse with an abscess and drained it, I instantly felt better. I usually am very good at telling the difference, but this is how powerful your mind is!
    Now, when I had a virus back in January (my first one in about 20 years!), I woke up nauseated at 2:00 a.m. I thought it was my anxiety because my bf was out of town, and two hours before, I talked to him, and he had gone out with some friends to a bar, which I don't deal well with since my father is an alcoholic (whole other story, lol), and by the time I got Benadryl and laid back down, I retched out of nowhere! I still thought it was anxiety until five minutes later, I was in the bathroom on the toilet. I never did v*, and after I retched, the nausea subsided too, but the bathroom trips continued for another 10 hours, and then my bf caught it the next week.
    Ann32's symptoms of anxiety are mine as well, but this is also how I felt that night as well!

My anxiety is generally worse than the actual stomach virus itself.
    ☮ ♥ emma

Kristinak I'm sorry about your horse I hope the leg heals up quickly! I have two. What breed is it?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    Kristinak I'm sorry about your horse I hope the leg heals up quickly! I have two. What breed is it?
    He's an appendix QH Thanks for the concern, too. It's hard to watch animals suffer, isn't it?? What kind do you have?

It is super difficult I have a Quarter Horse also as well as an Appaloosa

Quote Originally Posted by surfer777 View Post
    Sorry for another post...but I can't find information on this anywhere. How do you distinguish between a SV* and stomach problems stemming from anxiety? I know we all feel the anxiety from emetophobia, how do you tell the difference? Its been so long since I've felt n* so I don't know really what to look for.
    ugh i've wondered the difference for so long. today i was experiencing such bad anxiety that i actually ran out of band thinking that i was about to v*, then hid in the bathroom and had a panic attack, which has happened before. it was really scary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been having the same problem as you. I don't know if this will help or not, but I'll try my best.

When I'm feeling anxiety, I usually get nauseated, fidgety, sweaty palms, trouble concentrating, and my nervous habits go into overdrive (for me, it's twirling my hair around my finger and scratching the back of my neck). Although I feel terrible, I find that if I get distracted by something, such as my friends, the feelings subside, until something triggers me to remember my anxiety again.

When I was physically sick, I felt terrible the night before. I was at a dance, and no matter what I did or what my friends said, I still felt absolutely terrible. I thought it was anxiety, but the next morning, I woke up and v*ed. Although I thought it was anxiety the night before, when I woke up and still felt sick, I knew it was something else.

Different people suffer in different ways, but I hope this can be of some help to you.