Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New in town

Post New in town

I have been dealing with emetophobia since I was a child. I actually remember the trigger point
    My partner and I are trying to have a baby and the idea of a child bringing home viruses from school has sent me into a tailspin.

I joined this site because I recognize the need for help. I havent gone to a therapist because it seems as though not many have their heads wrapped around this phobia enough to sucessfully treat it.

So far I have read a number of stories that mirror my everyday life and I feel good about the decision to join. Looking forward to the potential of a free life on the other side of this...

Default Re: New in town

I am right there with you girl. Im so excited to try to have a baby with my husband, but this small voice in my head makes me so anxious. I worry that im A: going to vom during pregnancy and/or childbirth.... B: going to get sick from them, cuz lets face it- they are contagious little things.. C: not going to be attached properly to them for fear that they will make me sick and D: going to make them little crazy emetophobes too... this totally sucks.

i can also relate that you feel its useless to try to talk to a therapist about it. i tried once and she tried rationalizing it... being a therapist myself i saw right through it all. its not like i cant think logically about this myself. will i die if i vom? prolly not... blah blah blah... dosent make my anxiety any better

I have noticed that lately I am trying to "trick" myself into believeing that it will all be fine. I won't freak out, I won't go running with fear. It's total crap. I get cocky when nothing happens around me but it only takes one incident of ANYTHING to put me right back into a tizzy.

I called one doctors office and the receptionist had no clue what emetophobia was. I did't expect for her to know every phobia that is out there but her reaction to me made me feel like a total freak. My partner still wants for me to get professional help but I am still quite hesitant.

I appreciate your reply, being here has made me feel less alone in the world with this. Not many people understand it let alone know how to help.

I totally relate. I want my husbands support and curiosity, but he doswnt take it seriously. I found an article intended to educate people about it... Says to print it and share with your doctor... http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/fact-sheet.html but i still dont feel that they will be much help. I think my next move is to ask about anxiety meds to take the edge off, though ive tried hard to avoid medication. Like you, it eases my mind to have found this forum so i can "vent" and have people understand. Im going off of my birth control today, so im anticipating a lot of anxitey about prenancy and the horrible side effects ON TOP of the fact that its the sick season... Ugh :-(

Congrats to you and your husband!! Today is ultrasound day for us to see if we can go thru the insemenation tomorrow...fingers crossed..

Yay!!! Good luckkk!!! :-)