Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default PTSD could it be realted to Emetophobia

Okay so I just learned recently that I developed PTSD from being abused as a child. See I haven't thrown up in years and last time I did was when I was in an abusive household. PTSD pretty much keeps me stuck in the past. I think about when I vomitted I think about how much I hated it how much it scared me. I also think how my dad especially hated it and was yelling at me a lot for making a mess. See I am pretty intuitive with my feelings now, but everythime I threw up I wasn't sure what was going on or how to handle it so I always ended up making a mess. During school, Ik ind of learned to keep it under control and could enjoy social outings but I have been in isolation for so long now I kind of just want to stay that way. I know my thoughts are all over the place, so just kind of give me some feedback what your opinion is to what I just said and if you think my therapist will be ale to help me with my ememtophobia.

Default Re: PTSD could it be realted to Emetophobia

I too have PTSD. Complex PTSD actually, as a result of a very abusive childhood, and I too have emetophobia, obviously. I feel like you do about vomiting, not sure how to handle it, etc. There was a lot of yelling and anger around vomit during my childhood too, so I think I feel all those same feelings of fear that I did as a helpless child in that horrible situation now as an adult because of the trauma.

Can your therapist help you? Good question. I don't know. I hope so. Nobody's been able to help me yet, and I've seen MANY therapists. Emetophobia seems to be very difficult to cure because it's not like other phobias. Nobody wants to vomit and it feels awful, so there's nothing positive you can attach to it to help desensitize.

Yeah that is what I am wondering if somehow when my dad reacted with anger and panic I became traumatized by that.

I was bullied quite a bit at school, & I remember when I was 10 I caught a sv, & tted at school. I can remember the other kids laughing at me when it happened, & I felt so humilliated & ashamed. I felt that I`d let myself down & showed weakness, & I beleive that`s one of the causes of my phobia.