Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just out of curiousity!

I know emets aren't typically prone to v*, being that we'll do anything to stop it, but on a normal basis when it does happen, how long do you tend to feel nauseous for before it happens? Just curious!

Default Re: Just out of curiousity!

I'll feel extremely nauseous for about 5-10 minutes before it happens (Like I feel like I can't move).

My husband is not an emet, and ive asked him many questions about what V is like from a "normal" persons point of view. He has always told me that when he's got a SV, his intense nausea lasts about five minutes tops, then he just let's himself V and feels better afterwards. He said it is exactly the same as when you have bad D, you probably have no more than five mins of feeling that horrible pain and knowing you have to find a toilet and then once you go the pain is relieved somewhat. I think we emets make ourselves absolutely miserable by fighting so hard against the N and maybe that is why we have a heightened fear about it, because it truly is so much more agonizing for us to go through than a person who will just let themselves V. I dunno - just a theory. Even knowing what mt husband has said, I cannot just let myself V and will fight the feeling with all the willpower I have.

I`ll hold out indefinately!

i always worry about this: everyone says that emets usually get sick less than non emets, but i think i'm one of the exceptions.
    today i did a WHOLE bunch of calculations (made easier because i know the dates and times of when ive gotten sick) and came out with this: based on the data that i had from the past 5 years, the probability of me getting sick each day is .oo4, and (this is for me to look at at school) the probablility of me getting sick during class is .ooo6. just thought id share. i also have the probabilities for me to get sick each hour. lol im obsessed, but i came out with most likely being sick at 8:00 AM. o.o

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

L-L-L,

You have asked a difficult question of a group of people who almost never vomit and fight it hard before we do. So for an emet, there's no such thing as vomiting "on a normal basis."

For me, the three times I've vomited were: 1) 10 minutes; 2) zero (precipitate vomiting); 3) 3 hours. The last time I was severely nauseated, I didn't realize I was close to vomiting until six hours after I first noticed symptoms (diarrhea) and three hours after I got severely nauseated. Perhaps a normal person would have been able to vomit right away, but I wasn't even thinking about vomiting when I became severely nauseated. (I didn't recognize it as nausea and just thought I was "run down" so went home from work.)

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.