Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Unhappy Need help.... Worst nightmare!

Ok so I'm trying to quit smoking and so today I put on a patch. Last night after my shower I forgot I put body oil on so it didn't want to stick. So I took it off cleaned an area with alcohol and put another one on. I had a cup of coffee then took off with my husband and kids. I started to eat some sunflower seeds and I suddenly got nauseated. Thinking it might have been the patch I took it off. We went to Carl's jr around 3:30 and that was the first and last thing I ate. I had a sour stomach but I always get that when I eat junk like that so I didn't think much about it. Well since I didn't have the patch on I wanted to smoke real bad so I gave into it. Around 2am I smoked again then put another patch on and went to sleep. Around 4:30am I woke up extremely nauseated dizzy and sweaty and I had absolutely no color. I knew this was my time I fought it as hard as I could. I couldn't even stand up. I didn't v* but I had dry heaves really bad. Do you think it was too much nicotine? I'm freaking out so bad.

Default Re: Need help.... Worst nightmare!

It could have been too much nicotine - when my husband was trying to quit he wore patches but actually smoed with them on and that made him sick (he was warned that would happen so its his own fault)

I quit smoking and tried to use the patch about three years ago. I used to smoke two packs a day, and the large patch was too much for me. I got way too dizzy and nauseated to use it. I then just quit cold turkey, and in my opinion, that's the best way! In THREE days, the nicotine is out of your system. The rest is all mental. I tried to quit with aids for 20 years and couldn't do it. Cold turkey is the best. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Hi, I am a smoking cessation advisor and think it was probably too much nicotine. Probably the combination of smoking and using the patch together. Some people do find the patches too much. Have you thought of trying a lower strength patch or maybe lozenges, gum or an inhalotor instead. There is is also mouth spray or nasal spray available. With these, you are more in control of how much and when you are having them. There are also medications you can try through your doctor. Don't give up, it will be worth it in the end.

Well I was scared to go back to sleep because all week I have been waking up nauseated. But this morning was torture. This is my first attempt to quit in wow 16 years. I went to my doctor asking for the chantix pills but he refused to prescribe them to me. My husband is doing real good on them and we know a lot of people who quit with them. My doctor told me to buy the patch, and I believe they work. I haven't tried anything else. The only thing available in my area is patch, gum and lozenge. I bought some gum but didn't use them yet. Still feeling bad thank you for your replies it helps so much.

are you in the uk? If so your gp nurse will have access to a whole range of products, including champix (whether you are suitable for this is another matter though) but there are loads of options, don't give up

just because this happened doesnt mean you should stop trying to give up smoking!!! keep trying, and good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I gave up smoking back in july using patches. I had smoked approx 15-20 per day for 17 years and although I developed an allergic reaction to the glue in the patches I still think it was a great way to take the edge of my nicotine cravings and really helped me stick to it. I started off on the 21mg then after a few weeks I went down to 14mg then finally 7mg. Like I said the only side effects I noticed was the red itchy marks they left everywhere I stuck them thanks to an allergic reation. Its worth trying again. Good luck, its great not to be a slave to nicotine and lovely not to smell like an ashtray.

No I'm in the US so I have limited access to what I can get. I'm not giving up. Although I didn't put a patch on today my stomach is still very sensitive to this mornings episode. I will do one tomorrow, I think I just took too much. The patch helped a lot and I think I overestimated how I felt with them. Thinking I didn't need them to get through it and a few hours after I took it off I was wanting a cig. So hopefully tommorow I will feel better and start again with the patch.

you're not limited at all being in the U.S.! We also have something WONDERFUL called e-cigarettes. You can get them in any mall. They have kiosks all over the place. There's no nicotine in these, and I've heard of a lot of people quitting this way. Also, don't overestimate the power of Chantix. Just because it works for your husband doesn't mean it will work for you. My sisiter tried it and got deathly ill! The bottom line is that no matter what you choose to help you quit, you have to be in the right mindset. It's hard no matter what method you choose, but Claire is so right! It's so nice not to be a slave to cigarettes or smell like an ashtray! Keep your eye on the prize Good luck!