Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default boyfriend has a sv* :(

Hello, my names Ashley. This is pretty long but i need clarification. I have extreme emetophobia, i have had it since i was a child. I just cant seem to shake it. But to get down to the problem, my boyfriend always seems to catch the stomach virus more than the average person. He doesnt understand my fears of it, and as of right now he definitely has it! We were at our friends house, and he had a stomach ache. No biggie, or so i thought. But then he couldnt stop going to the bathroom, at that point i figured he was probably getting sick, but he wasnt nauseous at this time or anything, and theres only one bathroom so we all were using it after him, not thinking he was sick. Then he began to have diarrhea and nausea and at that point i just knew he was sick. I never went back into the bathroom after that needless to say! Well it took forever, but he went outside and he began to throw up! I called my mom to come pick me up, and he had walked through the house to leave so before i went inside my friend sprayed the kotchen down with lysol and oust, and i washed my hands repeatedly. I never kissed him after he threw up, but im just TERRIFIED that because i had to go back in the house, that ive now caught it because i was breathing the air (even tho my friend tried her hardest to spray everything). So my question is...is there a high chance i will catch it??? Even though i had no close contact after he vomited? Im so worried..when i get like this i wont until the 48 hrs is up and i know for a fact i didnt catch it. Having emetophobia puts a heavy damper on my life thats for sure! Im worrying so much, i need someone to ease my mind...he has been throwing up at work too please help?

Default Re: boyfriend has a sv* :(

Just keep washing those hands. Norovirus isnt airborn. But dont be by him while he is vomiting. Its airborn from the "vomit" particles. If he gets it alot more than you, it pry just means he has a weaker immune system. Maybe you have a strong one. But i know what you mean. Im all by myself and i feel like tonight i might get sick for some reason. I always say that. But im really nauseous right now and scared i might =[

Thanks for replying! Ive posted this in about 3 different places on here because im that paranoid. I sure do hate having this phobia! But should i worry about going to the bathroom after him since he had had diarrhea? And believe me i wash my hands 24/7, especially today! My hand sanitizer is a must also. But DONT freak yourself out about throwing up, take it from me, it makes you feel a lot worse. Do you jave any ginger ale or crackers? Pepto bismal? And sorry for the typos im on my phone. If you wanna talk quicker you could text me too!

I'm sorry you are so anxious tonight...I know it is always hard when someone you ate around comes down with a sv*...as long as you keep your hands off your face and didn't ingest any of the v* or d* particles, I am sure you will be fine! He could have also ate something bad! But he can't feel that horrible if he went to work, and sorry to say it guy but every man I have ever known is a big baby when sick! I hope you have a peaceful night!

Oh he tried getting off work but no one could cover for him. He spent a majority of his time at work in the bathroom while he was at work, they sent him home after 3 hrs of being there. I dont think its evrn been 24 hours yet im just waiting for the 48 hour mark and its hard because ive had 2 stomach aches since then. No one has told me about the d* particles, they say watch out for the v* ones. So i might of messed up? Me and all my friends were using the restroom after him, and he did go d* a couple times but before that he just had to keep going number 2. I hate worrying!

you have to actually INGEST the virus, which means if he didn't wash his hands, whether the v* or had d*, and then you touched the surface he did with his dirty hands and then put your hands in your mouth or ate without washing your hands, you can contract it. Hopefully, he washed his hands after episodes of v* and d*? If he's getting sick that often, maybe be should look into some vitamins? Washing his hands more?

That makes me kind of iffy. I think he washed his hands, but i do remember at one point (because i didnt think he was sick yet) i only used hand sanitizer before i ate thats not good ebough is it? Hes feeling better today just exhausted from all the v* and d* i guess. When do you think it is safe to go around him if he hasnt v* at his house? And what is the average onset of symptoms? Isnt it like 32 or 36 hours? Worrying is like a disease!

what kind of hand sanitizer are you using? The ones that only contain alcohol are useless against the sv*, which is why I'm always irritated that they even put them on cruise ships and in nursing homes. It gives people a false sense of security. Soap and water is just the best defense! It's certainly possible that you could catch it, but it's also possible you won't. All you can do at this point is keep your hygeine up. People can also shed the virus in their stool for a couple of weeks. Onset of symptoms is usually 12-72 hours, with 32-36 being about the average. Just keep washing your hands.

The hand sanitizer i have been using has no alcohol, it has Triclosan and wheat germ oil in it. And after he actually got sick i was using that one and the normal one because i was petrified! Lol. He said he washed his hands after using the restroom and before i ate so i guess thats good. If he wasnt having d* at the time i went to the restroom after him and then ate, is that a good sign? He didnt start having d* until about an hour before he v*. His last time v* was at 5 this morning so i guess i will not be seeing him today infortunately. When is it safe to go around him? Worrying is killing me, im praying i dont catch this!

I've never heard of Triclosan and wheat germ killing any kind of sv*, unfortunately. If you both have washed your hands and continue to do so, especially before eating, I'd say you are fine.

Well i guess the only thing i can do is hope i dont catch it. Im staying at my house but i feel like im going crazy with all the worrying. Its hard dealing with this phobia, it is always on my brain.

If you dont get sick by tuesday id say your in the clear.

I think id get it before tuesday, thats kind of far off. But hey, you never know i guess. Im jist so sick of the worrying, and ive even refused to eat because im that scared. What should i do?

Does anyone know if its safe to go around him? He wants to come over later.

72 hours is about the longest incubation time, that's why Fixxer said Tuesday. How long has it been since he's been v* or had d*? If it were me and I had the choice, I'd stay away longer...it can still be shed in stool, so if he doesn't wash his hands and touches all over your stuff, it can still be there...

I know, i was saying that because i almost always would get it by 48 hour period. I know theres still a chance, but its small right? He last v* at around 5 am sunday. But i havent kissed him and we havent even cuddled or anything. I keep washing my hands and spraying. I should be ok right? Theres just a small chance i assume. He hasnt gone number 2 at all today so i dont have to worry about that. Just anything thats his i wont touch. Or i wash my hands.

I think you should do what you feel comfortable doing. I remember my bf being ill and then the next day he was feeling better. It was Valentine's day, and as much as I did NOT want to be near him with him being sick so soon beforehand, I didn't want to ruin our day, so he came over. We had dinner, he spent the night AND we even had our "intimate" time. I never caught it. I just washed my hands and tripled up on all of my supplements. I was scared to death but really glad I didn't let my phobia ruin the day for us!

Aw thats awesome! Im glad you didn get sick. I dont have any supplements but i havr definitely been washing my hands constantly. I feel so bad because i havent kissed him or anything and i think he feels bad. Its just hes touched his phone and stuff while he was sick so i know for a fact those arent clean, hence why im washing my hands like crazy! Im still worried ill catch it, since the '72' hour mark isnt up, but its been 54 hours and nothing yet! Fingers ctossed. Having an emetophobic mind drives me nuts because i know im going to worry for another 2 days since i have been with him today! Yippie lol. Should i have waited, honestly?

Again sorry for the typos! Touch screen phone!