Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Please help!!! Please

Hi, I haven't posted on here much yet. My boyfriend has really bad emetophobia. He has had it most of his life. I have a slight case but not that bad. (we are both 18 btw). We had some relationship problems because I developed acid reflux (It hasn't caused any v* issues but he was terrified it could. Then my mom had d* which freaked him out. Long story short, things are finally good between us. We are supportive of each other and I love him more than anything.

He was at my house tonight, and everything was great. About an hour ago, my dad woke up and v* about 7 times in 10 minutes. He went back to bed after. I don't want to go near him, and I've cleaned every surface that he's gone near. I don't know what he has.

My boyfriend turns off his phone at night so I can't tell him until morning. I don't know what to do when we talk in the morning. We've been together 13 months or so and we haven't had a v* issue.

Please help! What could this be? He hasn't v* again it's been an hour. And how do I talk to him tomorrow in a way that will cause him to be less uncomfortable. This kind of thing is the end of he world to him, and I really want to be there for him. But he's not going to want to see me for a few days, so how do I go about it?

Sorry this is long. I'm freaking out please help. Thanks

Default Re: Please help!!! Please

Sounds like your dad has a virus. Im sure you and your boyfriend will be fine if you wash your hands.

I'm just freaking out because my boyfriend is having such a bad time with his meet right now. This literally might cause him to break up with me. He's very irrational when there's an illness. (although I am too..which is why I'm on here and not in bed right now)

Your dad could very well have a virus...but you never know. If he wakes up just fine in the am with no more v*ing episodes it could be a wide range of things. Just wash your hands very carefully and do not touch your face or eat without cleaning your hands first. Don't share a bathroom and if you are able lysol and/or bleach everything down...just because someone in your house has a virus doesn't mean everyone else will get sick. Hope your night becomes more peaceful!

Okay. Luckily we don't use the same bathroom. I always wash hands before eating. I already used Lysol on everything. Ill stay away from him for a while. This is just going to be a rough few days until my boyfriend and I are in the clear. I hate winter.

Just remember it isn't only winter that sv* go around, I don't mean to panic you more but it's a year round thing you just hear of it more beacuse sad to say people are more inconsiderate around the holiday season so they go out sick! And you still don't even know if he has a sv* it could be something totally different maybe whatever he ate for dinner didn't agree with him...and if he went right back to sleep...maybe even reflux! Try to get some rest cause it is late on the west coast so if you are on the east it is even later!

Yeah I'm on the east coast. It's 1:25. I have a college final at 8am. This isn't the best of nights. Yeah I know it's not only winter, my boyfriend just has a hard time with winter because he's gotten sick many winters and rarely gets sick. I don't know how to tell him tomorrow. He was supposed to come over again. But that's definitely not going to happen.

Maybe make a excuse not to come to your house, maybe go to his? Or if you guys were supposed to study go to the library or a coffee shop? I wouldn't lie to him BUT to spare the panic in him you don't need to tell him until you know FOR SURE what is going on with your dad and if you feel you HAVE to tell him. I know winter is harder on all of us emets because you do hear more of people being sick, just remember to keep your body healthy of all viruses eat properly, have good hygiene, adequate rest, and take your vitamins!

Thanks. That's a good idea. I don't want to lie because we are so close. My dad was near us a lot today so I'm worried. I don't want my bf to kiss me tomorrow because I'll be freaking out. I wouldn't want him to get anything if I do. But I hate seeing him so worried and freaked out.

Even if you were in close contact with your dad today you have to ingest the actual v* particles or d* particles. So just being near him you can not get sick! And the virus is not passed on through saliva, unless you have just v*ed and some v* is still in your mouth (ewwwwwwwwwww gross!) but try not to stress...I know it is hard but you don't know what is wrong wiht your dad yet!

Yeah. I know. I get so irrational. I just worry so much. I am talking to my mom about it (she's not very helpful, mostly just telling me I'm crazy), but she mentioned our dinner. It was really gross tasting. It was like stop && shop (a grocery store) fried chicken that was very dry, cole slaw that didn't taste like cole slaw, potato salad, and this potato thing with vinegar on it. Thinking about it, my bf, me and my mom only ate a few bites but I think my dad had a full plate. I'm thinking it could have just been this?

Very well could have been not to mention that is all really "heavy" food!

Ok. That would be preferable. None of us enjoyed the meal but he will eat anything. He has had this where he's been sick but the next day is fine. He never tells me stuff but I'm assuming his stomach bothers him a lot. Sorry, not to sound dumb, what is heavy food?

Like rich foods, fried foods, starchy foods...pretty much everything you mentioned you had for dinner! Your dad may even had reflux from all the food also...

Yeah that's true. I don't know if he typically gets reflux. He is older (68) and doesn't have much of a sense of smell (which I know affects taste) so while this meal was gross to us he probably couldn't taste it. I hope it was just that.

Thank you so much for helping me tonight by the way. It's been 2 1/2 hours now. He is asleep. I have heartburn but I'm 99% sure it's from stress and not an illness. I have acid reflux and stress triggers heartburn for me a lot.

I was also gonna say just don't tell your bf. It would do more harm than good. Even if it does turn out to be a sv, telling him now wont do any good. Just try to meet somewhere else tomorrow...say you are bored of hanging around your house or something. Good luck!

I`ve been exposed to other peoples sv`s in the past, but have`nt caught any in more than 40 years. I don`t know why this is, but it`s reassuring for everyone to know that catching bugs isn`t inevitable if youv`e been exposed.

Just to ease your mind about being with your dad the day before he became ill....I had an sv in April and swapped spit with 2 different people the night before and neither of them became ill. One was my dad, he finished my drink. The other was my son, he wanted a big round mint and I was scared he was going to choke so I bit it in half for him. Neither of them became ill. So as far as you guys being around him before his symptoms showed, you are totally in the clear.

Thanks everyone!! It was just the food. He only v* that one time. He was fine today, went to work.. even did some volunteer work. My boyfriend can always sense when something is wrong so right when he texted me in the morning he asked if everything was okay. I decided to just tell him. I'm so happy, he was completely okay (just a little anxiety), and he told me to get some sleep so I could see him. We hung out at his house instead today. So glad this wasn't that big of an issue