Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Help! Will I be okay??

So I found out that my cousin/co-worker and her bf caught the sv*. My co-worker got sick on Saturday night, and I have to go in to work tomorrow (Tuesday). We all work in the same room and share the computers. I know I must wash my hands frequently, but will I be alright?? Will I get sick even though I wasn't around any v*? I'm freaking out right now and really need some reassurance!!

Default Re: Help! Will I be okay??

You should be just fine! Remember keep your hands off your face, wash your hands after using the restroom and before eating! Don't share food or drinks with them...and keep your immune system healthy...adequate rest, fruits & veggies and good vitamins/supplements!

Thanks...I know I just need to wash my hands and not touch my face. But this anxiety is killing me, agh!!

You should be just fine! I am the lowest on the totem pole here at my office. If someone comes in sick I am the chosen one to go spray down their office or the restroom... knock on wood it stays like this BUT in 13 years of doing this I have NEVER caught anything! And I had a boss that would come in every year with the sv* !!!!

I think you'll be fine! I know it's really hard to be calm and optimistic, but I have been in your situation so many times and have come out of it without being sick! It's horrible having to go into work, but if you wash your hands you'll be absolutely fine

Thanks so much for your support! I'm new to this site and it really helps to hear from people that understand my situation. I've been very careful at work and I'm trying to stay optimistic. I just get scared still, especially since I have final exams tomorrow and I don't want to get sick! And is it true that someone can be contagious for up to two weeks? Does that mean I have to be a worry wort until Christmas??

From what I understand yes they are. It still "sheds" off into their poop. SO as long as they wash their hands and you wash yours, you will be fine. My kids have caught it a couple of times (inconsiderate people at church) and I was not scared of them at all after the 48 hour mark from the last time the were sick (part of my "habit" with dealing with my fear)... I was able to bring them back home (they HAVE to stay with my mom when they are sick...I can't take care of them & they are also emets)

So final exams are over so I'm a little more relieved. I still have to go into work with her but now she wants to have a movie night at her house tomorrow night! Both her and her bf were sick this weekend and I'm not sure if I should go over there just yet. Should I save myself the anxiety and not go? They have one other roommate but she did not get it, so could it be safe? Maybe I will just not go so I won't have another panic attack!

Personally (if it were me) I would not go.... I have to do a Christmas play at church Sunday night and the sv* is going around our church, I'm trying to come up with a GREAT excuse not to be there. Although I will feel really bad because no one else knows the cues to work the lights (my part of helping in the play)

I ended up not going...saved myself some anxiety. In the meantime, I've been feeling better as more time has passed. Still not thrilled about going to work, but this forum helped me get through this for sure! Thank you

So now i have just learned that my other coworker got sick! she and the other one who had it are also roommates so she had a higher chance of getting it. But i am so scared that she caught it too cuz it means i will be panicking for ANOTHER two weeks!! what do i do?!

just keep your hands washed and out of your mouth!! stay eating and get lots of rest!
    Last edited by jennnh; 12-19-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: wrong post.