Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default sv worse in winter

I think this is true. I know its a topic of discussion on here and some say its just that you hear about it more in winter. I swear I heard somewhere that since its generally cooler in winter, viruses can live longer, whereas in the summer when its hot, the heat kills them. Like when you want to sterilize something, you boil it. When you want to make sure bacteria is killed in meat, you cook it. Maybe I'm just making that up in.my head somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I heard it somewhere. That's also why the flu goes around more in winter.

Default Re: sv worse in winter

I think that's a myth...the sv* can't really get killed in the summer since it can survive temperatures up to 140 F. My theory is that work is generally slow during the winter months so people are less likely to call out sick from work and therefore pass it on to coworkers/students/etc. I don't have any backing for that but it's a theory.

I do think it is worse in winter although sv are around all year long. Got an epidemic in my town now, 1 primary school closed for cleaning, this never happens in the summer. Of course everybody you bump into when out has to tell you that their boyfriends cousins best friends wife has been spewing all night etc. People love sharing their horror stories and i dont want to hear! It seems to be worse over the holidays when people are getting together more in overheated confined places, sharing food etc.

I think it is worse during the winter because it is cold so everyone stays indoors in the recirculating heat so it just spreads. I know in the summer when my friends all get together we are outside in the fresh air. I also read somewhere that ultravioulet light kills viruses. Well, the sun puts out an awful lot of that! lol

I think you hear of it more in the winter...not that it is prevalent in the winter or summer, they are year round regardless of the temperature!!! I live in NV where a average July day is 110, 2 summers ago a sv* went around like crazy, my son even ended up getting it (his only symptom was upset tummy and slept a lot!) anyways I think you hear of it more in winter because people have lots of social gatherings, they bring food and kids and frankly most don't care that they or their children are sick. It has nothing to do with the temperature cause we don't get that cold here in southern Nevada and it still goes around here in winter and we get unbearably hot in summer and still goes around then too! I think you hear a lot about it in winter cause schools are all in session, as to summer when they are out from June till September...

It's actually worse in late spring to early summer here where I live. So I really don't think we should panic more than any other time of the year because it is always around. Just maintain good hygiene and hopefully we can all avoid it.

its not as common in the summer because kids are not in school.

Only if everyone would wash their hands. Wouldn't that be nice? I'm in Wisconsin and it is here year round. I had it once in august. Right now it seems like a lot of people are getting it. I'm worried my girls are going to get it but they take vitamins, probiotics and wash there hands constantly. I even had them watch a video on YouTube about hand washing and germs
    Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by cuhley70 View Post
    Only if everyone would wash their hands. Wouldn't that be nice? I'm in Wisconsin and it is here year round. I had it once in august. Right now it seems like a lot of people are getting it. I'm worried my girls are going to get it but they take vitamins, probiotics and wash there hands constantly. I even had them watch a video on YouTube about hand washing and germs
    Can you post the YouTube link? I would love for my oldest to watch it!

I knew I heard it somewhere! Lol I'm not losing my mind!
    http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/12/06/33258.aspx

Colleen!!!!! I'm in Wisconsin, too!!!!! Platteville
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

I believe it is around more in the fall/winter/spring when it is cooler.. but I don't think it has to do with the temperature. I think it has to do with the fact that people are spending more time inside and there are lots of get togethers. It seems like it hits hardest in the fall in my house... after school starts back up. Another thing they have been studying is vitmain D and how it effects the immune system... and to me it makes sense. Because in the summer we are outside a lot, getting lots of fresh air and sunshine and we typically get sick less. So there is some theory that it's a lack of vitamin D in the fall/winter and that Vitamin D really boosts the immune system. But that doesn't mean you can't ever get sick in the summer. I know I've seen virus's go around in the summer and I've had summer colds. But it's definitely much less from my experience and what I see around me.

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    Can you post the YouTube link? I would love for my oldest to watch it!
    I think this is it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5PwLAZNnKc
    Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by 1scareddj View Post
    Colleen!!!!! I'm in Wisconsin, too!!!!! Platteville
    Are you hearing a lot of people saying they have an sv right now? I have heard so many people in the past two days that I am getting anxios my girls will get it
    Colleen

1scareddj I live 10 minutes from Platteville!

Cuhley70 where do you live in Wisconsin? I know it's going around bad in my town. My sister and Mom both had it last week. My Mom said when she called in sick for my sister, that Rey said they were overwhelmed with sick calls that day!

Yeah it seems pretty bad this year. Good news is it should peek earler than normal.

It seems to be really bad here in West Michigan too. Seems like I am hearing about every other day someone in my daughters class was sent home for getting s*. I'm glad she's on break now and that they clean the school really good while on break so hopefully it'll ease up a bit when they go back.

Quote Originally Posted by harric01 View Post
    It seems to be really bad here in West Michigan too. Seems like I am hearing about every other day someone in my daughters class was sent home for getting s*. I'm glad she's on break now and that they clean the school really good while on break so hopefully it'll ease up a bit when they go back.

i haven't seen to many people with it in grand rapids, just a really bad chest cold going around. and yes im glad my kid is on break too although she was on xmas break last year and got it in early january.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    its not as common in the summer because kids are not in school.
    I agree with this most
    I myself have always let my guard down a lot more during the Summer months.
    I rarely eat out or eat at other peoples house during the winter unless the food is piping hot...