Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How do you get on going to work?

I was homeschooled throughout high school, and it was only this past month emetophobia has begun affecting me. I have to get my first part time job next year, and I am SO scared I will feel nauseous when I'm there. For me, one of the worst parts is feeling nauseous, and if you v* the realization that there is something wrong with you and you are going to continue feeling nauseous for a little while after, and not being in control. I am also scared of being unwell in public. Really though, what truly affects me is the nausea, and I can feel nauseous a lot of the time. I think I need to go to the doctor to check if I have gerd, for the past year (probably longer) whenever I eat a big meal it feels like it is settling in my chest and throat. I can also feel like my food isn't digesting, even hours after I eat. I constantly feel like I need to burp to relieve the pressure. I can't exercise after eating either, 4 hours go by and I feel like I have still JUST eaten. Plus I sometimes get burning in my throat (this is quite rare), phlegm. ETC.

ANYWAY, my question is, how do you get by at work? Are you so busy you are distracted from your thoughts? I just hate feeling trapped and being somewhere feeling nauseous. I came over really bad in a theme park once (I hadnt been on any rides and I hadnt come over feeling like that in public before) I felt like I needed to burp, and I think it was made worse because I was panicking. I am pretty sure now that it was just acid because it did go away after a while. And it started just after I had eaten a fairly spicy chicken sandwich from Arbys.
    This would be a part time job, and my first real experience of being somewhere I HAVE to be. I'm just feeling worried about it.

Thanks for any help, I really need it

Default Re: How do you get on going to work?

Please...someone reply, I'm really worried about it.

Yes you are too occupied to think about being sick. Especially if you like your job. I'm not going to lie sometimes you will feel sick but you can't run away from work so you will yourself through it and it eventually goes away.

I have an office job. I have my own cubicle and although people come to see me here or I go to their office or cubicle, I do OK. I just don't share my pens or pencils and I always use sanitizer after touching things that others have given to me. I also have the panic that you feel. My doctor prescribed xanax to me. I take 1/4 to 1/2 of one prior to getting to the office. ALSO, I have to share a restroom with the public. I just keep Lysol spray in there and go in after the public and spray down everything.