Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Diarrhea only with SF???

First post ever. It sure feels good to know I'm not alone. Quick question. Is it possible to have only D when you have the SF? Reason I ask is both my bf and I have it. I got it first and have had horrible stomach pains and numerous bouts of D. He got it about 12 hours later and has bee v'ing and had d. He feels better now but my stomach still kills!
    Am I in the clear from v'ing?? I read on a website that you almost always need to v to get rid of the sf. Is this true?
    Haven't eaten in 30 hours and still scared. A tad relieved that it is possible to fight nausea for hours.
    V free 20+ years
    Thanks for the responses

Default Re: Diarrhea only with SF???

Definitely not true. A majority of the members here will tell you that they have endured a stomach virus plenty of times where they did not have vomiting as a symptom. It is very possible to experience diarrhea only. It really just depends on the person. As to what you had included about one must vomit in order to get rid of viral particles, I believe that's false. Vomiting itself does nothing to help the body relieve itself of the virus because they are embedded in your intestines and by that time, vomiting would be ineffective in getting rid of anything. It definitely is possible to battle nausea for a prolonged period of time. It really just depends on the persons' threshold for nausea. Most with emetophobia seem to prevent themselves from vomiting at all costs and will fight nausea for days as opposed to vomiting for relief. You said yourself it's been 20+ years!! That's a LONG time!! I hope you and your boyfriend feel better!!

Sorry but sf...do you mean sv*? That stands for stomach virus? And yes it is very possible to have one and only get d* and no v* matter of fact hubby & I had one a few weeks back I only had 2 bouts and then slept a whole lot with a fever and he had fever 2 bouts of v*ing then finally slept. Everyone reacts to viruses different. I would say you are clear from v*inf and NO you don't have to v* to rid your body of the virus v*ing is a secondary response...I would recommend some high quality probiotics though!

I think she meant stomach flu? I'm not sure though!

Susan,

You don't say when you came down with symptoms, but most people start vomiting within an hour of when they first feel symptoms, and nearly everyone who pukes does so within four hours. If you can make it four hours, I think you'll be able to keep from puking. Just be careful not to make any sudden breathing movements, like a sneeze or a deep breath. That could set you off retching.

I suggest reading my Vomiting FAQ for more tips: http://emetophobia.byethost15.com/vomiting.html

Congratulations on making it 20 years! 35 for me.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, my whole family got a bout of noro back in 2007 and I only had d*

Thank you all for your informative and kind responses! It's been a nervous 24 hours, but I'm happy to say that I avoided v'ing while having this bug. Sorry for not knowing the right terminology!
    I do believe that these past two days tested my phobia more than ever. I am so thankful that I got the bug first. If it had started with my boyfriend (with him v'ing), I honestly don't know what I would have done.
    Unfortunately I now have my throat infection back again (that's a whole other story) which means I just might have to get my tonsils out after all. I'm terrified but taking each step at a time.
    I'm so grateful for finding this site and to know I'm not alone. And Doug, after counting, I realized I'm at 25 years!! Wow! What do I need to be worried about??? I've fought nausea several times and have made it this long (knock on wood) maybe the knock on wood really works!
    Thanks again everyone!

Glad you're feeling better! Welcome to the forum and I will tell you that YES you can have a sv* with d* only. In January 2008 - I had watery d* all day long with a low grade fever....never ANY n* or v* but it was definitely a sv*

WELCOME
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

Thanks Melanie!

[QUOTE=gumdropper1;370576]Susan,

You don't say when you came down with symptoms, but most people start vomiting within an hour of when they first feel symptoms, and nearly everyone who pukes does so within four hours.

congrats susan thats a great effort! Im jut wondering doug..there are so many different strains of stomach virus, the way the symptoms surface and elapsed time the vomting and diarroea start could all depend on the person and the strain of virus. I had no idea it was within 4 hours. My time was within 12. Cant remember where i got that from though. Could it be longer than 4 hours or is that a definate set time from when symptoms start with every noro bug?
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.