Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 'Jinxing' yourself......

Does anyone ever feel like by saying or thinking something which you feel could 'jinx' you? As an OCD sufferer, my 'intrusive thoughts' bring this on and it drives me MAD

I know it's irrational, but somehow I end up feeling like a bad thought/feeling could actually bring it on........can any relate?

Default Re: 'Jinxing' yourself......

A lot of emets have thought that if they tell how long since they last puked, it will cause them to ruin their streaks. I even thought that way myself once. But when I got to 20 years, and started interacting online with emets, I decided to share my streak. Now it's over 35 years. So talking about it for 14 years has not jinxed me.

Also, every few months, someone starts a new thread on IES "How long since you last vomited," which means this not only won't jinx you but is also a popular topic for discussion among emets.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can definitley relate! Try jinxing yourself with something else other than v* And see if it works.

I too have OCD and have the "jinxing" thing going on. I CAN NOT step on cracks. I just can't and if I do I feel all wierd and panicky. I have to have extra trashcans in the bathrooms with bags in them just in case I get sick. NO ONE is to put trash in them. There is a seperate trash can for that. I can't hang up my Valentine's Day decorations anymore because it was on Valentine's Day in 2005 that I last had the sv* so I feel that hanging them up and putting them out could make me catch the sv again (even though rationally I know this won't happen) I just can't bring myself to put them out. Also, when I did have the sv* I had on the cutest pair of PJ's... I gave them away, I couldn't bring myself to ever put them on again.... I was scared that I would jinx myself into getting sick again...

tshell, thats exactly how i am!!! i had my favorite pjs on when i got the sv and now i just can't wear them anymore. i'm not sure if i have ocd... my therapist says i have ocd tendancies, so idk if that means it is ocd or not. but i feel like i'll jinx it and get sick if i wear it again, and the same with a lot of other clothes. even clothes i wore on days that i wasnt sick on, but still had a hard time that day, i will not wear. i can't read books i read when i was sick, i cant watch movies i watched then, i cant eat the food i ate then, its soooo annoying. :c
    i also thought that i would jinx it if i said my streak out loud before. my record was 4 years. but even though i never said anything and didn't "jinx it," i still got sick. now i can talk about it since ive come clean to my family about my emet. talking on this site helped me be able to talk about it too. idk, maybe the only reason i can talk about it now is just because my streak is incredibly low right now... about two weeks or so? idk, but its in my signature so i'll know as soon as i post this... lol

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    A lot of emets have thought that if they tell how long since they last puked, it will cause them to ruin their streaks. I even thought that way myself once. But when I got to 20 years, and started interacting online with emets, I decided to share my streak. Now it's over 35 years. So talking about it for 14 years has not jinxed me.

Also, every few months, someone starts a new thread on IES "How long since you last vomited," which means this not only won't jinx you but is also a popular topic for discussion among emets.

Doug
    I absolutely will not answer one of those threads. I don't mind saying when I last had a stomach bug, but I do feel I jinx myself if I mentioned my last vomit episode. I know it's not true but I don't risk it.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.