Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am going to the doctor for this in April. I know they will want to try meds and I have tried several meds:

Effexor XR, Serzone, Luvox (which is for OCD), Celexa, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL.

The side effects suck real bad. Effexor XR worked very well for me but the side effects going on it and coming off are REAL BAD. It stopped working for me after a year. Another thing about these meds is sexual side effects.

If you would like, would you share your medications and how you liked them? Has anyone tried Prozac? BusPar?

I wish there was a med like Xanax or Ativan but not addictive, KWIM?Edited by: madisonsmom

I don't know much about medications for emet but my husband has used anti-depressants and was on Effexor for a while. He didn't feel like it helped at all so now he is on Paxil.

Also, I use Xanax every once in a while and if you are careful with it you won't become addicted. I use it for IBS symptoms and I take a tablet once or twice a month, whenever I am going through a high stress period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <font color=Blue>Carly --Check out my site---
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    you are on MySpace let me know and I will add you as my friend</font>

I take prozac, and it's probably the best I have tried. I take it for
    depression, anxiety and OCD ......... but you really can't compare with
    other people at all. Some of the drugs I have thought useless, have
    helped others in so many ways.

What have you decided?

i have taken ativan a few times in my life but for personal reasons, hated it with a burning passion. and because of that i cant say it did me any good.

however i was also on paxil for a while, for depression and anxiety and found it really upset my whole system. My therapist decided i was going to have to take things drug free (not that i can really say i was all that unhappy about it) because i have a body that doesnt tolerate many drugs and doesnt do well with the ones it tolerates.

However, i am also told this is the expection to the case so although i cant give you any great stories of how they changed my life, i wish you the best of luck and though it may take some time, i am sure you will find a drug that does work and is helpful for you.

I was put on lustral a couple of years ago, for depression/anxiety. It worked for about half a year and then just stopped working. The side effects going on them sucked, n....,anxiety(hmm... arnt they supposed to be anti anxiety?!) and messed up sleeping patterns
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I take zoloft to help the anxiety and it has worked very well.

Oh I should have mentioned that Zoloft can cause upset stomach as a side effect. It is kind of ironic but it doesn't bother me when I'm on the medication. It might be different for different people though.

well i started on Prozac and it didnt nothing for me. then the doc put me on beta blockers - which also did nothing - so then they decided to try me on effexor - the doc the other day said that effexor and things like seroxat are only ususlly pescribed if meds like prozac dont work... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Anyway Effexor has helped me loads and calmed me down and got rid of my ocd tendencies and obsessions - HOWEVER - and the biggest BUT comes now!!! coming off is HELL absolute HELL - and some of u i think have already read my post. Effexor actually made me heave/dirohea(SP) etc - its AWFUL and if i had the choice i never would have gone on it. i now feel bitter and angry at docs.

so my advice would be to ask EVERY question possible abt any drug. once im off these damn devil pills - im NEVER takin any of these hard core pills of s**t again. i dont know how they cld be mucking up my body.

good luck - try prozac - hey might work for u and the half life is abt 72 hours - so any side effects or withdrawal are MINIMAL.

ems xxEdited by: ejb199

I have been there and done that with Effexor and will NEVER EVER go on it again. I have to agree with though about the actuall effectiveness. I was put on it for severe anxiety and it did wonders. BUT it stopped working. I had a hard time coming off of it and tried SEVERAL times just to keep taking it feel normal.

I have since been diagnosed with OCD in addition to anxiety. My doctor wanted me to try Luvox but that has bad side effects. All meds have side effects. My doctor said that OCD is very hard to treat and did say something about Prozac. He said that high doses are required to treat it effectively and I would not try it then because I was breastfeeding my daughter. Anyway...since Prozac tends to have milder side effects when trying to titrate it up I will give it a try. My doc said that doses up to 80mg are sometimes needed for it to be effective. I havent been to him in awhile and go back in about 2 weeks.

I know that side effects pass once the meds are in your system. Its just getting pass them[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

when i started prozac - i had nothing near as bad as starting effexor - and if uve been on and off of that - im sure prozac will be fine!!

ems x

I was only on Effexor once. I took it for about a year. I tried coming off of it several times. I couldnt do it. FINALLY I did. Effexor does not take long to leave the body thats why the withdrawal is so bad. Prozac takes days to get out of your system. I have trouble taking any medication but as long as the side effects are bearable at first I can deal with it if it means I will have a better quality of life without the worry of stupid sh*t like this. (emet and anxiety in general)

I dont know...[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]. Anxiety like this runs in my family but there HAS to be a better way to deal with it besides taking benzodiazapenes. UGH!