Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default That Time of Year

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but definitely not new to emetophobia! I didn't know until today that my fear had a name, and that a LOT of others shared it. Up until now I just thought this was my own personal weirdness.
    I have had a lifelong terror of vomiting, and of seeing and hearing others vomit. Without having any counselling about this, I can pretty much pinpoint the origin of my fears to a combination of traumatic childhood experiences, and a genetic predisposition towards anxieties.
    What brings me here today, is the fact that it's stomach flu season again, and my husband has it. He woke up early this morning, violently ill, and I was completely incapable of helping him. As usual, I ran to the other side of the house to get away from the sounds. It's a very small house; there was no escape. I think my fear of him being sick is actually worse than my fears for myself (which are still pretty bad). I feel so helpless when he's sick, and I worry compulsively that he'll die under my watch. I actually called his mom to come and make sure he was ok. I'm dreading tonight, and being alone again with him. I've spent the day trying to calm myself by thinking, "It'll only last for a day or so. Everybody does it, it's no big deal". But it is. We're thinking of trying to start a family...if I can't be there for my husband, how can I be a good mom? How can I stop equating being sick with major illness and death?

Default Re: That Time of Year

I know its that time of year and Iam getting pretty bad anxiety about it too. I don't really know what I would do if I were in your position because I can't be around people who are sick without feeling severe fear : (

Default Re: That Time of Year

Everybody hears you Isn't it cruel how something so irrational can play such a disturbing trick on our brain and ruin our lives. Im from Australia and at the moment people around me that I know and some closish family are all sick with the vomiting wog going around and I am beside myself with fear. Its nearly Christmas and Im not going near anyone for fear of them being near someone else who has it. I have a 9 year old son, so I don't know how im going to manage that! He unfortunately has my fear of sickness which I hate myself for everyday because he obviously got it from me. Its so hard trying to pretend everything is ok for your child when your dying inside during these 'particular' times of the year when illness is around. My mother is the only one who sort of understands me, but even she is at her wits end as to offer solutions to me. Im new to this site too but its not a new phobia on my part either unfortuantely. Anyway thinking of you and going through exactly the same thing you are