Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Pain killers can cause v & d right??

My mother in law had a kidney stone yesterday. She said she was in horrible pain and was n and vomiting and went to the Dr where they sent her home with vicodin and percocet and told her to drink lots of water. She said she drank almost 2 gallons of water overnight and today felt fine. No pain. She called and asked me to give her a ride to the Dr where she had left her car yesterday. So I went and got her and when we were driving she said she was up peeing every 1/2 hour all night so she must have passed the stone at some point since she's fine today. But then she said "then I had diarrhea and was on the toilet and couldn't reach the wastebasket so I threw up all over the shower curtain..."
    ahhhh! I asked her if she was throwing up from the pain or from the painkillers and she said "I don't know what it was, but it was horrible"
    So I know she was throwing up yesterday from I guess the pain which I've heard is common. But then I'm thinking the d could have been from the painkillers? Of course my mind is running away thinking maybe she has a sv along with the kidney stone and now she's been in my car and contaminated it!! But I wouldn't think if it was a sv she would feel absolutely fine and normal today right?? She was going grocery shopping after I dropped her off so she could go home and eat. She said she was starving.

Yes for some people it can, my mum had an op on her foot, they gave her liquid morphine and codiene to take home, within 30 mins of taking both (as she was told to) she said she had a terrible hot flush and knew she was going to be sick, she was twice, the morphine made her disorientated too. After that she took paracetamol to control the pain.

Default Re: Pain killers can cause v & d right??

Thanks. I'm thinking it might have been that or from the pain? I know anxiety gives me d so I could see pain causing it too. the whole fight or flight thing...
    And I did Google it and saw where lots of people get d with kidney stones I guess since everything is all kind of connected down there? I don't know. I'm just hoping its not a sv.

Default Re: Pain killers can cause v & d right??

I have never heard of d** from pain killers though, usually it causes the opposite (constipation). But I know nausea and v** can be very common when using pain killers.