Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How Do I Find a Doctor?

My daughter who is 26 years old has always had a fear of throwing up. She suffered from anorexia when she was younger and received treatment. For the past few years she and her husband have been undergoing fertility treatments and the fear has come to the surface again. Last week she had a major crisis and has not been eating or sleeping. How do we find a doctor who can best treat her? Where do we start? Help!

Default Re: How Do I Find a Doctor?

You want to make sure you find somebody who is good with anxiety issues. Whether you are going for Hypnosis or CBT, you want to get in touch with them and ask what their experience is with emetophobia. Many therapists haven't heard of it yet, but I've run into a few who have. My hypnotherapist had heard of it and already treated a few people with it.

You can find the doctors a few different ways. If you have a physician you can ask them who they recommend, especially with a focus on emetophobia or anxiety. I found my therapist by googling hypnotherapy in my area, and then E-Mailing them all to see how they replied. Most just sent back quotes or automated messages, but the amazing therapist I saw sent back simply a few sentences. He asked how long I'd had the phobia, where I would like to be with it, and how severe it was. He already seemed interested in helping me, not just getting my cash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are you in the UK? If so most doctors surgerys have weekly sessions to meet with a mental health professional and the process is much quicker than waiting for a GP referral. This way the opportunity to see a counseller and nip this in the bud is much faster. I can give you more information however if your not under UK NHS i don't know whats the best course of action! let me know if you want more info :-)

Thank you both for replying. Unfortunately, I am not in the UK. We live in the US and I tried all day to find a doctor that would be able to see my daughter and did not have any luck. Left a lot of messages and am hopeful that I will get a call back tomorrow. Maybe people took an extra day off because of Christmas?

I know lots of people have this entire week off, and some places were closed today for Christmas still. Hopefully you get a reply soon!

You may find these links helpful!