Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Please help. Have flu

3 yr history of panic attacks. Have done quite a bit to work thru them. Now have flu. Been hovering around bathroom for 10 hours (literally pacing, I feel like a crazy person). Body wants to *V and I'm exhausted. Everyone body tries, mind freaks out and stops it. Please help. I don't know what to do. I'm so scared to V* and have tried relaxing with little help. Idk what to do. :-/

Default Re: Please help. Have flu

Do you have the flu or a stomach virus? The flu is a respitory illness it can cause n* and v*. If you have sv* try some antiemetics...have you gotten any sleep, I won'tst myself v* either I try to will it away. Do you have anything ginger to eat or suck on or take? That will help with n*. Hope you feel better!

Thank u for suggestions. Totally utterly exhausted. On about 12hrs of this crap. No sleep in over 24hrs. Sipping mint tea (no Ginger available) have gravol on the way. Literally camping out in bathroom now. Still no V, just major N (in waves). No symptoms other than body wanting to V and dizziness. Possibly low grade fever. Started taking cold fx two days ago. Hopefully that will help some. :-/

That and exhaustion/sickness is now causing my mind to play tricks on me. It's great fun. :-/

What is cold fx? Try to relax, the n* should be subsiding soon...you need rest to get your body healthy again, after you take some grail try to sleep that will help you immensely!

Just took gravol. Cold fx is an immune system booster (ginseng and stuff)... N starting o wear off thanks to exhaustion. Hopefully between that and gravol I'll be out cold soon this is terrible though. 2002 was the last time I v'd. I forgot how horrible the true N feeling is (I've become accustomed to the "panic attack" N feeling, which isn't as "real" - for me anyway.)...... Hopefully some of this is making sense. ;-/ my brain is fried. Lol

That sounds rough. Hope the anti-emetics have helped you and you have managed to get some sleep. Feel better soon.

Cold FX really does work and gravol should knock you out. Hope you feel better very soon!

I know how you feel, try drinking boild water, it does suck but remember you not going to have flu for the rest of your life, it will go away, whats a few days of the horrible bug to 365 days in a year? our body is a fighting machine and will fight it off eventually

Thanks everyone for the support. You guys are awesome and it's nice to know I'm not alone I this. I'm lucky to have a wonderfully supportive husband (who just today learned how bad this fear is). I'm sure you guys know the feeling when I say I feel like I'm literally an insane person freaking out of a natural bodily function.... (I don't care how "natural" it is, it scares the crap outta me!!) Anyway, been taking gravol, gotten a bit of sleep, ate two and a half crackers (yay! Lol) an lotsa fluids. A little dry V earlier (the worst kind!) but made it thru. Fingers crossed that the gravol continues to work and there's no more of that!!

Thanks again everyone!! Let me know if you have any other suggestions for getting through this.

Lots of rest and fluids. I would suggests bleaching the heck out of your house when you are done being sick to prevent the spread of it. It is less likely when it starts with adults for it to spread through the house but I would do it to be sure! Glad you are feeling better though! Did you have a fever or any d*? Maybe it was something bad you ate?

Oh and I suggest ginger and probiotics! And good healthy multi strain probiotic they are amazing for our entire digestion system!

Well, I'm fairly certain I caught it from someone in the family. We had our family Christmas last weekend and my sisters kids have the same thing I do. It's possible its something else, but doing the math on typical incubation times, it sounds about right. Stomach has calmed quite a bit already. Got lots of fluids in while things are calm.... Hopefully things stay that way.
    Hubby has been bleaching things and I've been wiping down anything I touch with Lysol wipes. (those things are fantastic). Hopefully I'll feel up to getting out of the house tomorrow, but if not I'll get my Inlaws to pick up some ginger for me.
    Sleeping lots (I just noticed a snow plow go by... I didn't know it had snowed, lol -I'm in Canada). Waking up Lon enough to drink, pee and take more gravol
    Thanks again guys. I've always dealt with this stuff "in secret"... I knew I wasn't alone, but have never talked openly with AnYONE about this. It really helps to know that there are people out there that go thru the same things I am going thru. Makes me feel not so "pathetic".

Lysol wipes or Clorox wipes do NOT kill the virus, you have to use a bleach solution or Lysol spray! Sorry to dishearten you! But I think I saw you had kids do its better to be safe then sorry!!! When we're you atop d your family? Just for the holiday this past weekend? Glad you are feeling better!

Oh! Yea I didn't know that about the wipes. Thanks for the info!
    Luckily, I don't have kids yet (but after looking around on this site I realized how "normal" I am that half of the reason why I don't yet is because of emet.)

We had Christmas with the family on the 17th or 18th. (my days are all messed up right now. It was the weekend before Christmas).

As much as this bout of the flu sucks, I am ecstatic that I found this site because of my (formerly unnamed) emet and a panic stricken google search for "how to stop yourself from V" or something to that effect. It's so awesome to know that there are so many people out there that I can relate to. Yay!! I'm not just crazy!!! Lol

Glad you're on the mend! And yes, isn't it nice to put a name to this thing we have and a relief that you're not crazy nor the only one in the world that fears a normal bodily function? I fear others more than myself, but I was convinced I was the only one for years and years....
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I would say you got sick elsewhere then from the Christmas party typically it's within 72 hours (3days)...but don't feel crazy we are all in this together, I find the information on here helpful and reassuring!!! Glad you are on the mend!

Ohhhh nooooo. It's starting to come back. Please help me here Gravol. I dont want Togo thru it again!!!

It's back? Maybe you have something else wrong with you? What did you eat before and tonight?

I've kept a rather bland diet. It's either one of two things (in my head). Either the flu that's going around my area (many people have reported it coming and going) or morning sickness. Either is entirely possible. If it is Morning sickness it's still too early to test. More likely to be flu though. I hope this is just a wave of N an not gonna develop to the V stage like last time. I REALLY don't like N, but I can deal with it. V is my "OMG in going bat-sh!t crazy!!!" stage.

Le sigh. :-/

I highly doubt in a sv* that comes and goes personally when people say it went away and came back I think it is they had it jumped right back into a crappy (fried food, alcohol, soda pop diet) and of course it upset their tummy's again!!!!!! It could very well be morning sickness and it's never to early to tell, I have had period with both my 2 babies

True story on the crap food thought. Lol. I ventured into toast and veggie soup today. I hope that's not it. :-/ ugh. Morning sickness would suck, but be awesome all at the same time. Lol. It's totally possible to be that too. That kinda scares me because I am taking a fair amount of gravol right now (recommended doses)... Certainly too much if I am pregnant. :-/ Gaagh! This sucks. Lol.

Ewwww. Eww eww eeewwwee. My husband just burped. Omg I can't stand that sound. Ick!!!

It's very rare that a sv* goes away and comes back, I think our society in a whole doesn't eat healthy enough so of course when their stomach isn't right all the way and they put more irritating crap into it they experience the "problems" again! I would say take a pregnancy test and goggle some remedies for morning sickness!!! Ginger, the acupuncture bands all those may help, along with B6...I only had n* with my 2nd child and it was only when I was tired I had to sleep like 12+ hours a day!

I'm really starting to wonder on the morning sickness thing. Always seems to be about the same time of day that it happens and I don't have any symptoms other than being weak, dizzy and N (and very brief bout of dry V). I did have a stuffy nose/crusty eyes for like... An hour yesterday but I think that's because I was crying so bad before I fell asleep. The dizzy/weak I attribute to not being able to eat much.
    Idk. My stomach feels very gassy and rumbly. I've never been pregnant so idk. :-/ had a very low grade fever briefly too but that's probably because of stress. Ugh.

If it makes you feel any better, I am feeling the same. It hit me all of the sudden and I ran to my kitchen to take Pepto (I ALWAYS have Pepto). I don't know how, but I was out. I felt so *n so I started to have a panic attack and shake. I started drinking kaopectate b/c it has the same ingredients. I had a bottle of antiemetics my dr. prescribed and when I went to get them, someone had thrown them out!! I completely feel your pain. Please hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by landaverdek View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I am feeling the same. It hit me all of the sudden and I ran to my kitchen to take Pepto (I ALWAYS have Pepto). I don't know how, but I was out. I felt so *n so I started to have a panic attack and shake. I started drinking kaopectate b/c it has the same ingredients. I had a bottle of antiemetics my dr. prescribed and when I went to get them, someone had thrown them out!! I completely feel your pain. Please hang in there.
    I'm so the same with pepto!!! Lol in high school I was known as the PeptoGirl. I would drink it straight from the bottle (for the record, I prefer it slightly chilled. Mmm yum. Lol). I panic without it. I keep a bottle of tums in my purse for "on the road emergencies" lol.

Tummy has settled again for now. I'm really starting to question the morning sickness thing. I'll give it another day or so and see how that goes then do a test if no change.

I have seriously fallen in love with this site. It's the first time in my life I feel totally comfortable talking about this stuff and the first time I've (knowingly) encountered others going thru the same thing. so happy something good is actually coming out of this ickiness

Thumbs up Re: Please help. Have flu

Quote Originally Posted by Psychochick29 View Post
    I have seriously fallen in love with this site. It's the first time in my life I feel totally comfortable talking about this stuff and the first time I've (knowingly) encountered others going thru the same thing. so happy something good is actually coming out of this ickiness
    I know! I found it [the site] last night and I was so glad that when I was up pacing around my house that there were other people that were doing the same. It was one of those things that most people just don't seem to "get." I even saw a therapist who pretty much just ignored the problem and did nothing about it. It has been a lifelong battle. I don't think a lot of people realize how dibilitating and isolating this phobia can be. I am so happy I have found others like me.

Also, I sincerely hope you feel better. I have three children and I didn't *v with any of them. I felt very *n for a week or two, and then it completely went away. Not everyone gets *s, so don't fret! It is not easy (especially if you are like me and are afraid of vitamins or medicines other than antiemetics lol) but it is do-able. I was very afraid to have children b/c of this, but I am so glad that I did. Good luck!!

Funny story. I read your reply and (I've been pretty out of it thanks to the Gravol) I was like "I don't remember writing this...?" lol. Then I realized, I didn't. It just sounds exactly like what I was going thru!!!

As an update, did a test this morning (was worried about the gravol if pregnancy is a factor).... Negatory. Still having head spins pretty bad, but tonight seems to be the best I've felt in over a week. Trying not to jinx myself or over do it... But fingers crossed

How long has this been going on? Just concerned that it might be vertigo rather than an SV. Seems like you have been mentioning dizziness and N. If it continues I would suggest a visit to your doc!