Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry ABSOLUTELY URGENT! Feeling very unwell... Sv exposure?

My sister has been v*ing today. We work in the same retail shop and she stayed at work whilst she was unwell. I'm so scared I've caught something. I feel so off and I'm shaking. I'm freaking out so much, I need some support. I have taken a Motilium Instant but I'm still shaking, my palms are sweaty and I cannot think straight. What if she had a bug and I've caught it? I've been super careful about my hand washing today and I even used a different toilet to the one she was being si* in. When I arrived at work she told me she'd been si* 4 times already, but she thinks it was from a weird tasting pizza she ordered last night. She kept saying she felt hungry but everytime she ate, she would v*. She could keep liquids down, but not food. She's been eating tonight and seems to be absolutely fine. No fever, headache or d* but she did have abdominal cramps. She said it could be due to her period because she hadn't had one in 3 months and it was really bad this time. Could that be the reason she's s*? I need some reassurance here; I cannot describe just how scared I am. I made sure she was washing her hands after each episode of v*ing, but she wasn't able to brush her teeth afterwards. I was sat next to her on the till today; could I have ingested some v* particles?
    Thank you if you've made it this far! Sorry about the rant, I'm all over the place.

Default Re: ABSOLUTELY URGENT! Feeling very unwell... Sv exposure?

I understand why you're freaking out, I would too. BUT even if it was a stomach virus, you've done everything humanly possible to minimize your exposure so the chances of you getting sick are very very small. More importantly, if she ate a pizza that tasted off, it's more likely food poisoning. And if she's already eating and feeling fine tonight, it may not have been either of those things. As emetophobes we always automatically assume every time someone's sick, it's a stomach virus. I do that too and I hate that about myself.

No you can't get ingest vomit particles because she didn't brush her teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
    I understand why you're freaking out, I would too. BUT even if it was a stomach virus, you've done everything humanly possible to minimize your exposure so the chances of you getting sick are very very small. More importantly, if she ate a pizza that tasted off, it's more likely food poisoning. And if she's already eating and feeling fine tonight, it may not have been either of those things. As emetophobes we always automatically assume every time someone's sick, it's a stomach virus. I do that too and I hate that about myself.

No you can't get ingest vomit particles because she didn't brush her teeth.
    Thanks so much for your super quick reply! I feel a little relief. I'm so glad I can't ingest the particles; that was what I was most concerned about. I have had a really (and I mean really) stressful day at work today too, so maybe it's all just hitting me now? I'm all alone and that never helps. I'm a bit better than I was thanks to your post.

Still freaking out. Omg I can't do this.

I'm in absolute pieces. I can't focus, I'm shaking and in tears. This is so horrible.

I'm sorry you are so scared, I will err on the side of it NOT being a sv* could be many things and her not having a period for 3 months and now having one is quite alarming! Try to rest and calm yourself I'm sure everything will be ok, just keep praying good hygiene!

Agreed. Try to do some breathing exercises to try to relax. I know it's hard, but it will help.

How are you feeling now??

Thanks guys. I made it through the night and managed to get about 6 hours sleep. I'm not feeling great, but I'm too scared to eat anything. I'm pretty sure it's all in my head, but because I'm home alone I cannot bring myself to eat anything. Sounds strange I know, but that's how my mind works. On a positive note, I made it through last night's numerous anxiety attacks all on my own which is something that I've never done before. Should I try an eat something? I'm just sipping cold water right now.

Good! I think some toast or crackers would be a good start, then you can see how it goes from there. I'm sure you'll be just fine

Okay I'll try my best. Gotta eat sometime, right?

Exactly! Don't forget that you're probably feeling so naff because you haven't eaten and you're exhausted, not to mention the anxiety you've been through over the past 24 hours or so. think what sort of effect that would have on anyone's body! Trust me, I think a little bit of food (eaten gradually) will make you feel loads better.

I totally understand you not wanting to eat anything (a lot of us are like that) until the "danger period" is over BUT you'll feel much worse if you don't fuel your body. An empty stomach can actually cause nausea. So please, try to eat something. It doesn't have to be a lot. Even just a piece of lightly buttered toast or a banana or something like that.

I ate 2 slices of toast. Big step for me. I'm still alone in the house, but I did it anyway! Yeah I do realise that an empty stomach can cause horrible nausea; that thought goes out of the window when you're having an anxiety attack, haha! Now that I'm thinking clearly, I'm sure that my sister didn't have an sv* anyway so I should feel fine! It's scary what the mind can do to the body.

Thanks for everyone's support, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelPedlit3544
    I ate 2 slices of toast. Big step for me. .
    Yay! Good job!

Thank you. : D