Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry Sister is sick, but just doesn't "get" how important it is to be clean...

It's so damn frustraing. She's been v*ing and has had d* (she thinks she has food poisoning from a bad pizza, but I don't want to chance it) but she just doesn't understand how important it is to keep things (and herself) clean! She's washing her hands after she's used the bathroom, sure, but she has yet to clean the bathroom with anything. She even had d* in there last night, flushed the toilet, cleaned her hands and then flushed the toilet again and then just walked out and back into her bedroom! ARGH! I've decided I AM NOT using that bathroom for ages now. And I REFUSE to clean it because I might catch something from it if I do. She's coughing in the kitchen without putting her hand over her mouth, she's touching food and utensils that I may have to use later. I don't want to lecture her because she already gets kind-of annoyed with me about my cleanliness but I think this is a situation where it's okay for me to be a bit more anal about it. Just panicking because I really DO NOT want to catch whatever she has. I really don't. She made a cup of tea for dad and I feel like telling him not to drink it because she'll have touched the edges of the mug! How bad is that? I wish I could change the way I think but if there is a bug in the house, I think I have every right to freak out. Luckily, she's still going into work today so at least she'll be out of the house. Ugh, I just feel SO dirty being in this house with all these germs and no-one has cleaned anything. Should I go out and buy something to clean with today? What do you guys recommend?

I also dreamt that I was v*ing last night. So now of course, I'm terrified I'm going to be sick today. Ugh, this phobia is evil.
    Last edited by RachelPedli; 12-29-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Default Re: Sister is sick, but just doesn't "get" how important it is to be clean...

I would be really annoyed too!!!! If you feel brave enough to clean then I would use a bleach solution. I think you just need to focus on your own hygiene. You're being pretty brave though! I would have left and stayed somewhere else.

Default Re: Sister is sick, but just doesn't "get" how important it is to be clean...

Bleach solution? Right. I don't want to clean the bathroom, but I will clean the rest of the house. The TV remote, door handles, light switches etc. I'm going to tell my mum when she gets home that she hasn't been cleaning the toilet.

Yeah you can either buy a premixed bleach spray or make your own. You can look up exactly the amount of bleach and water. Cleaning those surfaces is a good idea.

you can also buy a can of Lysol and spray EVERYTHING in the house. This is great on things you can't use bleach on and great for the bathroom since you don't want to touch anything!

I think I'll go out and get some. Ew it just feels so yucky. I've been SUPER careful about my hand washing, too. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Sure, clean with a bleach solution if that will make you feel better but it really does sound like food poisoning from the pizza that tasted weird, yet she and her boyfriend ate anyway (go figure!). If she had a stomach virus, I don't think she'd be well enough to go into work. I'm surprised she can go in with food poisoning but food poisoning comes in different degrees and while her vomiting and diarrhea seems awful to you because of your phobia, it's obviously not because she's well enough to function as usual.

I'm really hoping that it is food poisoning. Obviously I feel sorry for her having to go through all this, but she copes REALLY well. I'm sure, like you say, that if I wasn't Emetophobic, that I would just think "Yeah, it's definitely food poisoning" but due to this horrible fear, my mind automatically thinks there's a posibility that I'll catch whatever she has.
    Thanks again for posting and making me feel better.