Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default It's spreading very fast through the area

Hey guys, haven't posted for a while. I usually don't, but it seems like alot of people have sick family/friends so I can relate.

I recently found out that my best friend and her entire family have the stomach virus, and it's a bad one. It made her so exhausted she passed out and knocked herself unconscious on the bathtub. She invited me to a new year's party but, of course, I'm not going and I will be avoiding her for at least a week.

My concerns are the fact that she stays about 8 minutes away from me and there's a Mcdonald's that we both frequent. I'm worried that I'll catch it if I go to the Mcdonald's, or catch it from the virus spreading throughout our neighborhoods.

I know everything I need to do to keep from catching it and what chemicals can deactivate it, but of course, I'm sill worried.

Also, in case I do end up catching it, what are some things that can make it more bearable?

Thanks.

Default Re: It's spreading very fast through the area

Quote Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
    Hey guys, haven't posted for a while. I usually don't, but it seems like alot of people have sick family/friends so I can relate.

I recently found out that my best friend and her entire family have the stomach virus, and it's a bad one. It made her so exhausted she passed out and knocked herself unconscious on the bathtub. She invited me to a new year's party but, of course, I'm not going and I will be avoiding her for at least a week.

My concerns are the fact that she stays about 8 minutes away from me and there's a Mcdonald's that we both frequent. I'm worried that I'll catch it if I go to the Mcdonald's, or catch it from the virus spreading throughout our neighborhoods.

I know everything I need to do to keep from catching it and what chemicals can deactivate it, but of course, I'm sill worried.

Also, in case I do end up catching it, what are some things that can make it more bearable?

Thanks.
    The only way you can catch it is if you ingest some of the v* or d* particles, so in other words not wash your hands before you eat or touch your face, or you eat containmenated foods. You can not catch it just by being near someone who has or had it. As for going to her house good call it CAN live on surfaces for up to 2 weeks, bleach and Lysol spray are the only cleaners that kill it. My best recommendation is to stay as healthy as possible, eat very healthy, get adequate rest, take a good vitamin and probiotics. If you do get it there are over the counter things you can take to help the nausea, ginger tea, ginger supplements, ginger candies, there is Emetrol, Dramamine.
    It's everywhere right now but no sv* is worse then the next it is all in how healthy the person infected with it is, you could get infected and not even show a symptom, or have a minor bellyache, or be really sick. It all depends on you and how much of the virus you ingest, but mainly on your immune system!!!!! I hate when you hear people say that it's the worst one, I usually "evaluate" the person saying it and how healthy of a lifestyle they live!

I had this same worry last year when I felt like everyone in my area was coming down with the stomach bug. But Sage actually replied to one of my posts and told me that it doesn't matter if one person or 100 people in your area are sick with the stomach bug, as long as you keep your hygiene up and don't touch your mouth as well as not be around someone who is actively vomiting, then you will be fine. You have to ingest the particles in order to contract the virus.

I hope you find some relief soon and that you can relax and enjoy your New Years!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Thanks for the replies. CMM811 you're right, it does depend on the person. I wouldn't say I'm the healthiest person (like I said, I frequent Mcdonald's lol) but I have been on a constant multivitamin and probiotic regimen for about a year and a half because I have severe IBS. I also need to eat somewhat healthy or my IBS will act up.

Cupcake x, I had a bad feeling something was going to happen this year that would expose me to it so I shouldn't be surprised. I have been washing my hands and stocked up on Germ-X advanced protection (it contains benzalkonium chloride as the active ingredient). Thank you and I hope you have a great New Year as well!

it is hitting hard from what ive seen and heard... thankfully it has not struck my house yet but i have a feeling it's around the corner.