Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fed up with living in fear

So am going to have a good night tomorrow being new years eve. Have booked into an expensive hotel in the city and cannot wait.

So why can't I eat today, I am living in fear that if I eat something I may throw up and ruin tomorrow, does anyone else go through this, I seem to be getting worse, I would prefer not to eat without having the worry of being sick, I hate my life

Default Re: Fed up with living in fear

your not the only one!! i've had treatment twice for eating disorders when i stopped eating because of being terrified of being sick.

Just remember, its important to keep your health up and that includes eating. just eat something plain even some toast and some fruit but try, theres no reason whatsoever why you'll be sick is there. your just having extra anxiety because new years is a 'special' day and you don't want plans to be ruined. just try to relax, you'll be fine!! :-)

You're not the only one! I do this all the time the day before something that I'm really looking forward too or that makes me anxious like flying.

Agree wholeheartedly with toast and fruit it's actually my go-to meal when I'm anxious - I always logic myself into it... I find that reminding myself that if I don't eat I will feel yuck anyway and remind myself that healthy food like fruit or fresh cut veges have the nutrients to keep myself healthy and that's a good enough kick up the butt

Then do something you enjoy to relax to take your mind off it and have a wonderful new years!

I do that too! I avoid eating any time I have to be out of the house, even just to go shopping or something like that. I hate it too. I just want to be a normal person and eat when I'm hungry without having to first decide whether it will be safe to do so.

Red face Re: Fed up with living in fear

You are definitely not alone with this fear! If anyone in my house gets the SV* I will go for at least 4 days without eating. I also don't eat for a day or two before I fly cause need to know my stomach is empty. My thought is that the virus is "hiding" in my body, just waiting for me to eat something before it shows itself (I cringe just to admit that cause I know how it must sound) It makes perfect sense that you want to feel your best for your big nite and if you have a history of not feeling well after eating lots, it's only natural you would want to avoid that possibility.
    On the other side of that coin, if I know I'm doing something that revolves lots of food, I try and make sure I'm home the entire next day. Every year, my hubby and I go to a huge Super Bowl party (SB is probably my favorite holiday!) and I always take the next day off. Not cause I over drink, but cause I want to feel free to stuff myself silly and not have to worry about feeling miserable the next day at work! I can be miserable in the privacy of my own home.
    Try nibbling on dry toast, applesauce or crackers. You need some sustenance so you aren't too pooped to party!
    Hope you have a wonderful evening!

just go have fun tomorrow night, you will be fine.

I havent eaten for the past 3 days for the same exact reason as you, I'm having a new years eve party ! Wish I could fully enjoy it :/

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore10 View Post
    You are definitely not alone with this fear! If anyone in my house gets the SV* I will go for at least 4 days without eating. I also don't eat for a day or two before I fly cause need to know my stomach is empty. My thought is that the virus is "hiding" in my body, just waiting for me to eat something before it shows itself (I cringe just to admit that cause I know how it must sound) ...
    That is how I feel, even when someone has NOT been sick around me. I can go DAYS without eating. I have gone 8 days without eating in the past, only drinking tea or water. I am 38, have given birth to 4 children, am 4' 10" and weigh 85 lbs. Definitely not a healthy weight. I actually get n* when I am really anxious, so I have no desire to eat. I think not eating actually messes with my mind and makes my anxiety worse, but I have a hard time forcing myself to eat when I am worried, no matter how much I try to tell myself that I need to eat. But...rational thinking isn't what controls people with emet, is it? When I am able to eat during times of high anxiety, I eat saltine crackers (which are about as bland as it gets and what they tell women with morning sickness to eat) or a banana.