Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Incubation for Noro - 48 or 72?! Help it's important!!!

Hi All,

I am new and freaking out. On Boxing day morning about 10.30am my mum came down with what I believe was Noro. She had severe D and V until 1am on 27th. Shudder my worst nightmare and I had to listen to her throwing up as we were staying at hers and only 1 bathroom. I should also mention that my 3 year old was sick twice on Xmas morning. Both times he was in same
    Room as me but first time on pop side of
    Our bed and 2nd had his back to me. I didn't do any cleaning up but obv he is 3 so wanted mummy cuddles etc all day.

Anyway back to mum, I tried to avoid bathroom as much as poss on 26th. Mum also did bleach and wipe with antibac wipes after she v each time
    As she knows I am stressy. When I did go to b/room I washed my hands like crazy and touched everything through my
    Cardi. My husband then threw up just the once boxing day eve so then I was avoiding him too (not a good xmas!) and my brother in law was also I'll and left ours to go be sick. All in all enough to send me totally over the edge!!!

Obviously that was 4 days ago and I have had nothing since, I thought I was in clear as thought incubation was 48hrs from infection but just read somewhere it is 72hrs??? Conflicting info on Internet and now I am freaking out as if it is 72 and not 48 then I might still have caught
    It????. If anyone knows for sure I would really appreciate a reply, I can't handle v once let alone for the amount of time
    my mum did for. I keep thinking I feel sick or like I need loo but I an so stressed now can't tell. Please help me.....

Default Re: Incubation for Noro - 48 or 72?! Help it's important!!!

It varies from 12-72 hours with the average being 36 hours. If it's been more than 72 hours then you're definitely in the clear and to be honest, if it's been more than 48 hours, you're more than likely in the clear too.

BUT it can be shed in stool for up to two weeeks, so I would still wash your hands and keep everything CLEAN to be safe!

Usually no longer than 48 hours, sometimes 72 in extreme cases but I think those are still times when it has only been in your system a few days or a day or so. I don't think symptoms would take that long to show. Anyway just stay on top of your own hygiene for a few weeks and you'll be all in the clear. Remember you can't get it unless you ingest it like eat it aha, so if you keep your hands washed before they put anything in your mouth etc you will be fine
    Life is so worth living.

Blimey, what a Christmas! i think you have done brilliantly as i would probably have had some kind of nervous breakdown with eevryine round me dropping like flies!

I'm sure you are ok as you were so good with your hand hygiene so as long as you keep that up and don't let anyone who had the lurgy prepare you any food for a while then you will be ok.

Just be aware that the virus can live on hard surfaces for 2 or 3 weeks, so be extra careful with handwashing at your mums house. She did the right thing by bleaching down, but if there are any surfaces in the bathroom she missed they could have the virus on still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wow good on you for putting up with that during christmas. that would of been hard. like others said i think yor in the clear. i always think 48 hours but to be honest i think 72 hours just plays it safe. remember to not put your hands anywhere near your face for a couple of weeks and to wash your hands frequently. i think your in the clear
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Thanks everyone I really hope so. We left my mum's to come home on the 28th so have been counting from them as that's the last time I was in the house but obv the presents that came back etc would all have been touched by her at somepoint and the children's new bath toys were in the room with her when she was being sick which has freaked me out even more. I am hopeful that I am in the clear bow though. What a Xmas!!!

C x

Well you have just brought a little ease to my mind as well...my husband was sick with something (seems like a virus to me on weds night) and I've been counting down days like they are the longest days of my life...I've wiped stuff down with gloves, changed the bed sheets, and been a total freak to a point where he's getting annoyed with me lol...

He only vomited one time though...but was really tired before it all happened and never felt nauseous or something so that was weird...so while we are on the subject, do you think I'm in the clear too??? Gosh I hope so...I don't want this fear to ruin my night tonight...I've been living on the edge for days now haha....thanks!!! Also, he drove me to work Thursday morning and I was confined in a car with him...I probably would have contacted something already right?

P.S. I would have totally gone into a nervous breakdown and wished I was dead if all that vomiting was happening around me...I would have been terrified so proud of you for sort of sticking through that one!!

Hi,

I woukd think you are most likely fine and I am starting to think I am def prob ok now as well! I havent had any feeling so symptoms and counting from leaving mum's lunchtime on 28th I am sure I would have done by now if I was going to and I think you would have as well.

O god it was awful!! I literally did want to run away! I kept saying to my husband "I want to go home!" managed to somehow get through it though - prob by worrying and thinking about myself really lol! I am all heart me!.

I hope you have a good new year!

C x

Thank you, you too...sometime tomorrow I think I'll start feeling better mentally, just to be sure. :*(