Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default It affects my kids lives :-(

First of all, hi everyone! I just found this forum & I am new here. I have always had emetophobia as long as I can remember, but since I've had kids it's gotten out of control If my daughter gets even a low temperature she v*s, so I've become a total germophobe. I don't let my kids play on those stupid indoor play things, if we go anywhere I wipe their hands 5000 times with hand sanitizing wipes, and I get really anxious and mad at them when they touch things, and I feel terrible because they are just being kids. My 4 year old picks up on things and says "oh I can't play with her because she has germs" etc. Some little girl at the mall came up to my son and drooled on his pants & I right away bought him new ones and changed him. I get mad at my husband if he gets sick, and really anxious if he or my kids catch anything. I don't really want to go on medicine but what do you all do? My daughter goes to preschool next year and I won't be able to be over her shoulder disinfecting her 24/7 and since I don't let her get exposed to germs I know shell likely catch everything. Thinking about it makes me panicky. I guess I wanted to vent and get advice because most everyone makes fun of me and thinks I'm nuts.

Default Re: It affects my kids lives :-(

Oh and what I meant to say as well is I feel like I have the power to force myself not to v. And I don't get svs like rarely ever, but the phobia still looms over me. I don't like being around it, cleaning it up, or seeing people sick in general it gives me major anxiety and I get d*.

Default Re: It affects my kids lives :-(

Hi Jamie! I am the same as you. I've always had a fear o v*, but the first time my son got his first stomach bug that is all I could think about! Just in constant fear of another one coming into our home! He just started preschool this year, and I knew I needed something to help me out or I would drive myself mad. I just wasn't enjoying my life. I am now on a low dose of Zoloft. I went back and forth if I should go on it or not, but I'm glad I did. I mean it hasn't cured me (obviously I'm still on this site), but it has helped take the edge off. Maybe, you should go talk to a professional and get their opinion. I just know how you feel, and it is horrible being in constant fear all of the time.