Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Daughter naseous...freaking me out...feel like such a selfish, bad mother...

The title says it all. I try everything to keep her from getting sick. Ginger teas, saltines, antacids, homeopathics, reiki, anti nausea over the counter meds...and all to make ME feel better and pray I don't get sick. I feel like the worst mother in the world. Any coping techniques? Advice? She is asleep, but I fear will get sick any moment and then, I fear, will I. I am new to the site...didn't realize it had a name. So glad to find I'm not alone, and could really use some helpful words right about now...

Default Re: Daughter naseous...freaking me out...feel like such a selfish, bad mother...

If anyone is out there...any words would be greatly appreciated...it's the middle of the night and morning (around 5am I start to feel safe) is a long way away at this point...

Default Re: Daughter naseous...freaking me out...feel like such a selfish, bad mother...

I'm sorry you are so scared! How old is your daughter? I know the feeling of night time can be the worst and worrying about kids (I have 2) maybe turn on a funny movie and try to relax...or take a hot shower....why does 5 am make you feel comfortable?

Thank you for your response. As I'm sure you are aware, any connection is extremely beneficial. I can't have the tv on as she is trying to sleep through it and we are in a tiny apartment. (I'm a single mom) She's 16. You'd think after that many years, it would get easier. But each time feels the same. I don't know why...but it's always been that way. 'If I can just make it till 5am' has been stuck in my head almost since my first panic attack out of a dead sleep at age 18, almost exactly 20 years ago...

How old are your kids? And how do you deal with it?

Well the good thing is she is 16 and she can care for herself if she is sick. I commend you for being a single mom, that is the hardest thing to do (I have been there!) do you read maybe read a book? How long do you have till 5am? I suggest you try to sleep...maybe read yourself to sleep?

My kids are 16months and almost 6...ummm I freak as well but I try to tell myself nothing will happen and if it does I will cross that bridge when I get to it. My hubby is very supportive in my phobia, and knows when a bug is in the house I go on a mad cleaning spree!

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyforHelp View Post
    Thank you for your response. As I'm sure you are aware, any connection is extremely beneficial. I can't have the tv on as she is trying to sleep through it and we are in a tiny apartment. (I'm a single mom) She's 16. You'd think after that many years, it would get easier. But each time feels the same. I don't know why...but it's always been that way. 'If I can just make it till 5am' has been stuck in my head almost since my first panic attack out of a dead sleep at age 18, almost exactly 20 years ago...
    My 1st panic attack happened at age 18 too, I have always had the v* fear but it never gave me panic like it does now...the doctors believe my panic/anxiety kicked into overdrive at 18 because of the big surge of hormones...I even got off birth control cause they found out my body produced too much estrogen...

She doesn't care for herself so well when sick. She handles it better than me, but in an attempt to keep her from feeling my panic all these years, I think I spoiled her. I'm still the one cleaning up after and try to be there for her as much as I can so she doesn't develop this fear (I hope). It's almost 1am now...but the panic that sets in makes sleep very difficult. (Till 5am, of course Yes..I've tried distraction of reading, etc, but I'll hear one noise from her and I go right back to panic mode. Thanks for the opportunity to chat. I appreciate you reaching out. It helps...

Are you on the west coast? It's almost 1am here too ...I know of nights when my boy will say his belly hurts I give him probiotics and listen half asleep to the monitor all night (yes I still sleep with it)...I know do Ernie's it helps to just talk makes me calm down sometimes! How long was she complaining of nausea? I know as parents we want the best for our kids and definality don't want to pass on this fear, maybe this could be the time to help her get through it but teach her she is grown up and she CAN do it, just as you CAN do it!

Oh, they're so young! I miss it I went to doctors galore in the beginning, but the docs I saw wanted to give me high power drugs and because of my fears, I wouldn't take them. I began self prescribing with homeopathics and such, and for the most part, I'm so much better than I used to be. That is, until my daughter (or someone in the household, if anyone else is here) gets sick or nauseous...then, it sends me right back. I'm so tired of it. I feel like, I'm an intelligent educated woman...why can't I fix this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyforHelp View Post
    Oh, they're so young! I miss it I went to doctors galore in the beginning, but the docs I saw wanted to give me high power drugs and because of my fears, I wouldn't take them. I began self prescribing with homeopathics and such, and for the most part, I'm so much better than I used to be. That is, until my daughter (or someone in the household, if anyone else is here) gets sick or nauseous...then, it sends me right back. I'm so tired of it. I feel like, I'm an intelligent educated woman...why can't I fix this thing?
    I use homeopathics, essential oils, herbs & supplements myself!!! I love them and they make me feel so much more in control of what illness comes into my house! And yes they are you g but growing so fast =(...I wish I could fix it too, but I have learned I can't fix it I have to live the best life possible with it! I'm really a firm believer in positivity and mind over matter!

Thanks Yes, on the coast...Southern California. She was nauseous after she ate tonight, but wasn't feeling 'right' all day. Yes, when the panic first started, I had my line up of friends to call so I could talk my way through the night! They would say, 'but I don't know how to help you' and I'd tell them, just talk to me...about anything...tell me a story!

Ah yes...me too! but this is the 1st...I was out of my favorite cure all Boiron products, and our local health food stores were all closed! Yes...the time goes by so fast. Enjoy every moment! (and take lots of pictures )

Is she gonna start her period? I know I feel off when I am gonna start my period...I'm sure she will be fine though. Do you have probiotics? I swear by them!!!! I live in NV so we are kinda close! And yes I take lots of pictures and video!

Her menses has been fluctuating lately. But mine is and hers tends to be around mine. (Good point!) I don't have any on hand. I am struggling financially and am truly paycheck to paycheck, so is often difficult to live the way I used to, and prefer to. Things like that get cut out of the budget with the many bills and limited current income. But that's another story entirely... I have a cousin who lives in NV. I've lived all over, but do love this end of the country

It could be her period then especially with it fluctuating it's affecting her badly this time, not to mention a stressful time of year just passed! I'm sure she will be fine, and I wish you a very peaceful night! You are lucky to have lived many places, I have lived here in s. nv and in Phoenix, the hubby and I are trying to mice to Portland now...

Thank you for taking the time to talk with me. I truly appreciate it. Portland is a very cool town. I wish you well in your journey!

Whose is your daughter? I hope all is well!

I hope she is ok. Don't feel bad we are all just like you. We love are kids so much, there is no question about that. Our phobia just takes control and really no matter how much we try and talk ourselves out of it, is impossible. My son is back to preschool tomorrow and I'm freaking out because we leave for Phoenix next week, and I'm scared he is going to pick up a sv. I feel so stupid for worrying about this, but that is what this phobia does to us! Good luck and hope your daughter feels better. CMM811 are you thinking of moving to Portland, OR? That is where I live if you are!

Quote Originally Posted by mela View Post
    I hope she is ok. Don't feel bad we are all just like you. We love are kids so much, there is no question about that. Our phobia just takes control and really no matter how much we try and talk ourselves out of it, is impossible. My son is back to preschool tomorrow and I'm freaking out because we leave for Phoenix next week, and I'm scared he is going to pick up a sv. I feel so stupid for worrying about this, but that is what this phobia does to us! Good luck and hope your daughter feels better. CMM811 are you thinking of moving to Portland, OR? That is where I live if you are!
    Yep!!! My hubby was offered a job operating cranes up there and we just had to get my sons dad on board...so it's not a for sure but hoping to!!! Portland is so beautiful and such a different way of life then Vegas...

That is great! You will LOVE it here! It is such a great place to live! Let me know if you have any questions! It is such a great place to raise kids too! Will be nice to have a fellow emet close by!

Quote Originally Posted by mela View Post
    She is feeling better, thank you And so am I