Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Where is your emet panic worst?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home

25 22.94%
  • Other peoples' homes

45 41.28%
  • Transportation (public or personal)

53 48.62%
  • School/Work

63 57.80%
  • Stores

31 28.44%
  • Parties

28 25.69%
  • Restaurants

48 44.04%
  • Other

12 11.01%
  • Indoors

28 25.69%
  • Outdoors

7 6.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Where is your emet the worst?

I am kind of curious to see where in your everyday lives the panic of emet is the worst.

You are allowed to choose multiple answers and I did that because the indoors or outdoors choices are separate from the rest.
    Last edited by EMF1300; 01-02-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Default Re: Where is your emet the worst?

Everywhere but home.

Mine is actually worse when I'm at home because I have nothing else to distract me.

Depends...it definately is worse at home, especially if my hubby is sick and its quiet and dark out...THE WORSE!!!

I`m always more on the alert in large stores because you get small children & drunks in them, especially at this time of the year, what with bugs & booze around.

Home for sure.

When I was younger, my emet would often be dictated by location, but this is now one area where my emet has improved. Years of forcing myself to go to uni, travel, move around and work in London has trained me to not associate any one place with v* or emet.

If I had to choose one option, I'd go for boats (although not other transport) as I've not been on an open sea passenger ferry since 1998, when I was stuck on the ferry to the Scilly Isles with about 100 v*ing people in Gale Force 9 winds. I've not been able to go on a passenger ferry since, although I can do the FastCat crossing to the Isle of Wight as its 15mins and the Solent doesn't get rough.

Mine is bad on public transport. I get anxious on buses and trains and planes and boats and even as a passenger in my friends car sometimes. I think it's the lack of control (i.e if I feel sick I can't get away...whereas if I was driving, I could pull over etc..) I have control issues fo' sure.

Mines bad anywhere, its not that im afraid of being embarrased im just that afraid of throwing up

Quote Originally Posted by pretendworld_ View Post
    Mine is bad on public transport. I get anxious on buses and trains and planes and boats and even as a passenger in my friends car sometimes. I think it's the lack of control (i.e if I feel sick I can't get away...whereas if I was driving, I could pull over etc..) I have control issues fo' sure.
    Im the same no control i hate it. makes you think about it more

i dont know... where ever a situation crops up... but i guess at home if something does because what ever room someone's sick in, i dont go in so if it happened in the hall before my bedroom i wouldnt be able to get to bed and considering my 6 year old sisters room is directly opposite the only bathroom i ever go in and my rooms at the end of that hallway, its a possibility :P

Mine is also bad on public transportation...I cannot breathe on a bus or train. I feel like everyones germs are stagnant in the air and everything in there is filthy. Ugh its like every breath i take Im inhaling sickness. For the things I was thinking of for other: movie theatre, church, boats, amusment parks

Ahh yes, the lack of control. I have panic issues and the V is probably the worst though. I was thinking in the car the other day how I am wasting my life away being scared all the time. Life IS short and I don't want to live like this. I want to be happy and carefree like most everyone else. I say most because I know of others who suffer..I read awhile back about someone who said she follows what she read in the book The Secret. I used to follow this stuff alot more and I know it can help. One thing they discuss is What You Think About You Bring About - The ore I think about V or this sort of thing all of a sudden someone will call me and tell a story about getting sick, being around it, etc. Or when in the car and getting that "feeling" I will see a car on the side of the road, and see someone getting sick. Seems the more I am thinking about it, the more it comes up. I am going to try and put these thoughts out of my head. Any other suggestions? I hate being out of control and being afraid of V, being around it, hearing it...etc. No One in my family knows, hubby thinks I just don't like it. But who does??? Blessings to you all.

mine is definitely worse at school/work because i feel like i can't leave if i start having anxiety attacks etc. In lecture halls with loads of students crammed in is the worst

Mine is on the bus. I've recently started analyzing ever person that gets on a bus and thinking, "Are they sick? Will the be sick? What would I do if they just t* u* everywhere? How would I get off this bus if they did that?"

Work usually, I work behind a bar and feel trapped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

At work. Because I'm constantly in front of people and it's hard to walk away. I'm a hairstylist so it gets nerve wrecking when they are staring at my every move in the mirror. Ughhh. Otherwise I'm pretty good anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyass View Post
    Mine is on the bus. I've recently started analyzing ever person that gets on a bus and thinking, "Are they sick? Will the be sick? What would I do if they just t* u* everywhere? How would I get off this bus if they did that?"
    This is the same for me. I've had to get off the bus and catch another just because I imagined someone looks like they could *v.

Mine is absolutely terrible in school, and it's proceeding to get worse in stores, too.

I never experience emet. outside. The fresh air helps so much.

Mine is definitely in the car and when I am out to eat! I am usually fine at work only because the restroom is close and I am comfortable there!
    "We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."

Restaurants and being in unfamiliar places at night with people I don't know.

I avoid restaurants 100%

Home is surprisingly the worst for me. With school being a very close second. The reason why home is bad for me: I live with my parents and my sister. Unfortunately my sister does not have best immune system and she has a tendency to get sick. To make matters worse: we only have one bathroom. And back when I was younger: me and my sister shared the same bedroom. So you can imagine my panic as a child and young teen.

But I also lived on campus while at school (taking a semester off now), and that was a very close second in terms of anxiety levels. Sharing a bathroom with 20 other girls who like to party and get drunk in a not so sanitary dorming environment? .......no thank you. Major anxiety those semesters. Luckily I moved to an apartment for my last semesters where I shared a bathroom with one other girl and I was fortunate that they never really got sick.

I answered a thread similar to this and I said night time when I am at home lying in bed, but I am going to take that back and say at school. Although the evening hours still can be pretty bad as well. I always feel terrible when I wake up to get ready for class. Urghh and then I panic the entire way to school like today....then I get here and I have to find somewhere quiet where I can be alone and have my mini spaz attack in a secluded area so people don't think I'm a buffoon. Once I am able to compose myself, I try and muster up every ounce of energy to force myself to go to class. That doesn't always work unfortunately.
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 02-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Mine is worst in situations where I feel trapped. So transportation is bad, also home is bad for me. I only panic when someone else is sick. But if someone is sick at my house, I can't avoid the area for ever! It makes me feel like it is contaminated- not germs exactly but just the grossness.

I don't know how exactly to explain it, but say you had a piece of work or art you had done and you were really proud of it, then someone scribbled on it. You might be able to get the scribble out, but you would always know what had happened and it wouldn't be the same. And depending who it was, you might think that they should know better than to do that. That's how vomit makes me feel.

School/work is actually pretty good for me because I have my professional head on. Besides, I have an escape route and anything that gets ruined is not mine so I don't care as much!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan16 View Post
    Ahh yes, the lack of control. I have panic issues and the V is probably the worst though. I was thinking in the car the other day how I am wasting my life away being scared all the time. Life IS short and I don't want to live like this. I want to be happy and carefree like most everyone else. I say most because I know of others who suffer..I read awhile back about someone who said she follows what she read in the book The Secret. I used to follow this stuff alot more and I know it can help. One thing they discuss is What You Think About You Bring About - The ore I think about V or this sort of thing all of a sudden someone will call me and tell a story about getting sick, being around it, etc. Or when in the car and getting that "feeling" I will see a car on the side of the road, and see someone getting sick. Seems the more I am thinking about it, the more it comes up. I am going to try and put these thoughts out of my head. Any other suggestions? I hate being out of control and being afraid of V, being around it, hearing it...etc. No One in my family knows, hubby thinks I just don't like it. But who does??? Blessings to you all.
    i am exactly the same way....i thought i was alone.

Mine is absolutely the worst when I'm at college. When I go home, I feel completely safe, but here, between the germs and the poorly prepared cafeteria food, it's just too much.

My worst fear is having to v* while driving. I'm afraid it would happen to fast, I wouldn't be able to pull over, and I'd have a wreck.
    Last edited by claudann; 03-06-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo

The worst is transport in general and school, especially during exams. I feel trapped, cause for example when you're on the motorway you just can't pull over wherever you want if you are sick, and sometimers during exams you're not allowed to get out to go to the toilet. I am not only afraid of being sick, but it's even worse in public, I'm terrified to be seen as disgusting, and it's so humiliating to get everything out and then to clean after...

Mostly when I'm at home in my room at night. Not quite sure why.